Bristan Shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dazed and confussed, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Dazed and confussed

Dazed and confussed New Member

I've just had a combi boiler installed, and in anticipation of this, I bought a rather swish looking mixer shower - trouble is it doesn't work. Got loads of cold water coming through, but no hot at all. I swapped the connections over so hot supply going into cold etc, and got all hot and no cold. So I reckon it's theres a problem with the valve on the incoming hot water side.

The place I bought it from are refusing to exchange ot for another, saying that my cold pressure my have been too great and may have ruptured an o-ring, and that I'll need to get a Bristan Engineer out to dismantle the mixer bar to check it.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had a similar problem?
  2. mj

mj Guest

Just repaired a bristan shower for a customer (never again!). When i put it back together i had problems with water temp (new thermo cartridge made no difference). This customer had a Biasi combi, 7 litres/min max tepid hot water, enuf said!
    Your fault may be that your boiler is not producing enough hot water, you could try restricting the cold flow into the valve to balance with the hot. Bristan valves are a pile of sh#t & temperamental with unbalanced supplies. Buy a decent make like grohe or mira!
  3. bilco

bilco New Member

If you still have the info that came with your shower, check to see if it mentions max water pressure...if it doesn't return it to your supplier for a refund (mention the sale of goods act and merchantable quality)..If it does have a max limit, check your water pressure and if lower, still take it back.

You did flush the pipes out before fitting...could be cr@p in there perhaps.
  4. Agile

Agile Member

MJ should have recognised that a Biasi boiler only giving 7 litres of water needs to be repaired by a competent CORGI engineer.

The 24 kW gives 9.3 litres per minute raised 35 degrees.

Probably installed by a cowboy and dirt in the secondary heat exchanger or the gas settings were never checked.

Tony Glazier

Agile Services
  5. mj

mj Guest

oi agile, why should i recognise the output of f*k** **** biasi boiler. I only went into the property to mend a shower
    the boiler was of no concern to me. The customer was advised that the boiler was not delivering enough hot water to the shower.Why would i or should i know the dhw output of the boiler. Everybody in the building trade knows that biasi boilers are cheap ****. Have you just bought the franchise for repairing these boilers, or do you work for biasi?
    If it's the former, you'll be a very busy man!
  6. doitall

doitall New Member

there again you could read the instructions and adjust the temperature.

long thin screwdriver down the center spine usually works.
  7. mj

mj Guest

Tried all the adjustments at the time, even foc valve supplied by bristan & phone calls to their tech dept. Flow rates to the valve were poor on the hot side & only 7.5lts/min at the kitchen sink, next to the boiler!(but i should ave known a biasi could do better)
    One of those situations where you try to help the customer & get things working, but you know what the cause is (boiler).
    Bristan eventually gave up & said it must be the boiler. The customer phoned me a few weeks later to say that she'd had the boiler serviced by a biasi approved repairer & nothing had improved.
  8. doitall

doitall New Member

mj, my reply was to the original poster yours is another story that probably requires the right flow restictors and or flushing out.