Bristan Shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Crazy Horse, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Went to look at a Bristan Thermostatic shower today, they only moved into the place last Friday and have found that the shower very hard to turn on. There is just one large chrome ring to turn it on and a smaller ring to adjust the water from hot or cold. The large ring is so tight I had a job to turn it. The smaller one is o.k. Could it be that the shower needs new cartridge or do you think I need just to fit a new service kit? There is no model No. on the shower, just the name Bristan. Has anyone come across this type of shower before? It's a new one to me.

2. wot4

wot4 New Member

Fitted the same shower recently (Bristan Sceptre) and had the same problem. Mixer fed from combi boiler. Phoned Bristan tech support and was advised to fit a pressure reducing valve because the mains water pressure behind the cartridge was causing the tightness. No mention of this in their instructions.

3. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Cheers mikra that's interesting. This one is fed from a combi as well. Did fitting pressure reducer solve the problem?

4. wot4

wot4 New Member

No prv fitted yet. But to prove the point turn off isolating valves to the mixer (or shut main stoptap) and you'll find the mixer on/off will turn freely without the mains pressure behind it.

5. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

O.K. cheers for that. Are you fitting pvr's on both hot and cold?

6. famous

famous New Member

I had this problem with bristan valves on a site recently, even though there was a prv on the incoming main set at 3 bar. Bristan supplied a new handle with a lever to make it easier to use. I think most of their showers use the same cartridge but if they cannot cope with mains pressure then they must be poorly designed.

7. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

That was spot on Mikra. the water was turned off and the shower ring then turns freely. Where would you suggest the PRV was fitted, on the incoming main? which by the way, is 22mm.

8. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Thanks for that famous, did they supply the lever for the shower free of charge?

9. glynmitch

glynmitch New Member

I had a problem recently with a Bristan Pisa and contacted them about it. They sent me a set of new levers free of charge.

Glyn

10. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Cheers glynmitch, sounds to me like a load of ****!! why these people make these things and expect us to have to face the customer and then fit them is beyond me.

11. glynmitch

glynmitch New Member

I certainly won't be installing any on a pressurised/combi system again.

Glyn

12. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Did they say that you may have to fit a psv to overcome the promlem? I bet they didn't.

13. glynmitch

glynmitch New Member

Nope. the guy was really dull and new instantly what the problem was without me even going into detail. Conversation went as follows:

Me: I have installed a Bristan Pisa mixer valve and it's really stiff to turn it on and off

Cust serv: is the shower mixer fitted to a pressurised system?

Me: yes

CS: I'll send you some new levers

Me: will that solve the problem?

CS: Yes. What's your address?

No explanation, nothing.

Glyn

14. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Deja vu Glynmitch that's word for word the conversation I had today with the guy from Bristan. Difference is , he wants me to pay £ 28.86 plus vat plus postage. It works out at about £40.00. They obviously know there is a problem with their showers, why don't they sort it.

15. doitall

doitall New Member

Tell the guy he replaced all the other ones free of charge.

Bluff him in other words, Briston service are very good normally

16. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

O.K. doitall I'll give it a go tomorrow see what the jobsworth says. Let you know. Cheers M8.;)

17. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Thanks for the info lads. Rang Bristan regarding levers and they are sending them free of charge. Excellent result! ;)

18. Cobblers

Cobblers New Member

Yep, had this problem too,been back a couple of times , stripped out, put back together, stiff again . ***** design,closed main incoming stop cock slightly,( buggerd if im gonna fit prv's) this improved it and the shower performs better (more hot water from combi.
    The shower doesnt have the option of the levers, not heard from customer for 2 weeks

19. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

They just had the boiler checked over today and the corgi upped the hot flow slightly so when I get the levers all should be well. As a matter of interest I priced up a 15mm prv from the Plumb centre and they wanted £40 for it,on the interweb at Plumbworld they are only £17 quite a difference!

20. taydo

taydo New Member

It seems to me that plumb centre only want account customers.