Broken 9 Month old Iron Gate

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Chris101, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Earlier this year we had iron railings and a new gate fitted.
    Yesterday we noticed that the gate had broken off from one of the hinges of the post it was sitting on.
    The company who installed them are coming out tomorrow to have a look and hopefully rectify.

However as it had dropped off the hinge it seems someone has attempted to close the gate and not realising it was dropped off the hinge, has forcefully dragged it a little leaving scratch marks on our newly laid mosaic tiles....

Should the company be held responsible for this as well?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got photo's.

What size is gate?

Could be poor fabraction.

3. No.

If the gate had fallen off and damaged the drive surface under its own steam, then very possibly. But for some twit to push a broken gate along the surface thereby causing damage, no, I don't think so.

Doall likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo's will reveal all.:)

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'm with DA on this one...

The only thing you could hope for really is a goodwill gesture. The main thing is getting the gate fixed.

Doall likes this.
  6. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Should the rust on the gate, as per attached pictures, be presnt this soon as well

Attached Files:

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes to the rust, its just wear and tear.

As for repairing it, that's easy and can be done insitu.

8. From what I can see the weld of the ring mount doesnt appear to be very good, hasnt penetrated into the metal enough.

I would want a better weld if its being replaced in situ, I think it will need gas welding, not mobile mig welding. Otherwise its likely to fail again, and there would then be a definite claim for consequential damage.

As it stands, I think you may have a claim, but their defence would be quite strong too. When the hinge failed and the gate dropped, any damage caused would be a claim. The damage caused by opening the gate after the failure, I dont think so.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very poor welding, no depth of weld.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unless you lie!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Phil the Paver

A mig weld will be far stronger than a gas weld, but in this case a simple arc weld will be more than strong enough for this.

CGN likes this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I love gate photos! Waw!!! Just love em. o_O:confused::p

13. Disagree about mig welding on thick steel such as this. Its better suited to thin materials.

Arc welding might be ok if its big enough, if its mobile it might not be .

Gas would be better, for better depth penetration, which is the reason its failed, but it would take longer.

My opinion anyway

14. Phil the Paver

Have you ever welded, I use a tiny moblie arc welder to weld RSJs on site especially in lofts where's there's very little room.

Hardly anybody uses gas these days except for cutting torches.

2018-1_512x512.jpg

This is the sort of welder I use.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

15. Done some welding yes.

Mig is ideally suited to (indoor) thin sheet such as car bodywork or light fabrication.

Arc welding is stronger, especially when used outdoors, but will need some decent power to get a decent weld on that section of metal without too many puddles and to get the penetration needed.

Gas welding, on site like a repair would be, would be suited to getting the heat needed for good welding.

On balance I would go with arc if the welder is big enough, but I wouldnt even consider mig on it

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Must be 15-20 years since I used gas for welding, arc & mig for me.

Arc should easily repair that gate.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Even a modest 'DIY' arc welder would sort that as long as you know how to use it. What next...TIG?! :D

18. Phil the Paver

I agree totally about Mig welder, they come into their own on thin sheet metals along with Tig.

But arc is king on heavy gauge metal always had been, that gate by the way isn't very heavy gauge, the steel used for it will be very low grade.

19. Im just worried about penetration, thats all :oops:

20. Phil the Paver

Ooooo aaarrrrhhhh misses. :D:D

KIAB and CGN like this.