Broken negative head pump?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Harveyl, May 29, 2017.

1. Harveyl

Harveyl New Member

Hopefully someone might help me...

We have a monsoon 46410 universal 3.0bar twin negative head pump supplying a wetroom. Has been working fine for 7 years.

There was a burst main down the road on Saturday morning, we didn't realise and both had showers, wondering why it was a bit hotter than normal!

Water came back on on sunday, and the rest of the house is fine. However the shower is playing up.

Once we turn it on we get about 20 seconds of normal flow, then it slows to a dribble. If we turn it right up to hot then the flow returns. But turn it to cold and it stops completely. Seems as if the hot is going back up (backflowing?) the cold as the pipe marked 'cold to shower' in the airing cupboard gets hot. I've been through the priming process a couple of times, but hasn't done anything. I can hear the pump is running ok and runs for about 20 seconds after turning the tap off to pressurise the tank as expected etc, it just doesn't seem to be letting any cold through (or is losing a fight against the hot maybe?).

I'm guessing we have broken it somehow by running it without a cold supply on Saturday morning, but hoping someone on here may have some magic fix before we resign ourselves to £££!!!

Cheers
    Harvey in Bristol

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

info on your plumbing please.hot water is it from pressurised storage or gravity fed cylinder . is cold from mains or tank. is the pump just connected to shower ? photos would be good,

3. Harveyl

Harveyl New Member

Ah yeah - thought id forgotten something...

Hot is from gravity fed cylinder. Approx 1m run from cylinder to pump. Cold is from mains.

Hot and cold then run to wetroom via the loft. The pump and wetroom are in opposite corners of the house, approx. 20m I guess. Both hot and cold runs have air bleed valves in the loft which seem to be working fine.

Supply goes to a Hansgrohe ibox and splits between a ceiling rose and a usual shower head on a flexi pipe. Doesn't matter which shower head I turn on, neither work properly.

Cheers

4. Harveyl

Harveyl New Member

Oh yeah - hot supply is via a connection that was added to the side of the cylinder (Essex flange?)

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

are you sure the cold is from mains,that's very unusual !! i am confused by the original post where you state " pump runs on to pressurise tank ", what are you referring to ?? if I can get a clearer overview I can give you some things to check out ,of you are OK with doing diy /plumbing

6. Harveyl

Harveyl New Member

Just checked again, yeah your right, the cold comes from the tank in the loft which is full of water, so there's defineltey a good supply available to the pump. The cold tank is nearly directly above the pump in the loft.

Its a stuart turner monsoon U3.0 bar universal pump. As I understand it, once you turn the tap off, the pump runs on to pressurise itself - there's a small tank on the top of the pump. Then when the tap is opened again it recognises the drop in pressure and turns itself on.

I'm pretty good with DIY and plumbing etc.

Now that I've seen the supply tank in the loft and that there's no shortage of cold supply - the more I think there must be an issue with the pump itself...

Don't know if these pumps are repairable, or sealed.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

must admit not familiar with that pump ,but. its only a neg head pump.so here is what I think has happened... as the cold water tank supplies both hot and cold as soon as you start to shower the water level drops and mains cold comes into it to fill...but mains supply is cut off or severely reduced so pump is emptying tank faster than is replenished. result air enters the cold outlet in the loft tank .think you will find the outlet pipes from tank to hot and cold pipework are at different levels ,cold higher so air gets in there first. so you get no cold hence hot shower. cold pipework is now air locked ,preventing cold flow to pump / shower. another thing that happens after mains burst and re connection is impurities come thru and block or restrict ball valve in loft tank.will fill eventually but you need it filling full belt.

9. I'd check the inlet strainers on the pump. Sounds like the cold could be blocked. The burst water main may be a red herring.

10. . . . . and the filters on the shower valve