Brown 13A Plug top

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by iandaviot, Sep 1, 2014.

1. iandaviot

iandaviot Member

Can anyone tell me where i can buy Brown 13A plug tops. My wholesalers only do white or black and dont see anything obvious online.

Cheers

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The British Museum would probably be the only place for brown plugs now. I haven't seen one for years.

Kind regards

BS

3. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

The old Bakelite ...... LLLLLLLLooooooonnnnnnngggg gone :D

4. flateric

Car boot ???????????? Best bet, probably still attached to some death trap

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I had a look on EBay out of interest and you can get some pretty funky coloured plugs these days, but none listed in brown

If you have no luck in sourcing these, how about spraying a white plug with a car paint aerosol in your choosen colour

It may be worth a try ?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you do pick up some old original brown plugs then obviously they won't have the live / neutral pins sleeved

Not sure realistically how much of a safety issue this really is ?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

They're now manufactured sleaved for a reason, mainly being it's that much harder to inadvertently touch the pins when plugging in or unplugging and killing yourself due to the extra insulation, just saying....lol.

8. flateric

I can't say that I have ever touched the pins or even got near to doing so. I have pulled one out and the top has come off on more than one occasion :(

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Reaching arm's length behind a customer's unmoveable piece of furniture and wiggling the plug out by fingertips springs to mind...

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I believe it was to protect childrens fingers.​

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It's surprising how much 'pin' is accessible whilst maintaining conductor contact, I'm only a medium size chap and I can contact the nasty metal bits quite easily, plug tops can be notoriously hard to remove on occasion, and that's when your 'ickle digits tend to move behind to get a better foothold, by nature.
    As Bazza, little fingers do make the electrocution task easier though!.

12. pigeon_brain

pigeon_brain New Member

A few issues with the unsleeved ones - as well as child's fingers there were allegedly cases of older folk with bad fingers using metal items to lever the plug out of the socket, and also a rather dangerous 'prank' could be played with unsleeved pins, that I won't discuss here. But trust me it was bad.

You can see on some of the later unsleeved plugs (especially MK) that the body of the plug had wider flanges where the fingers would be placed to withdraw, to reduce the risk of fingers slipping under. Earlier plugs from the 40's/50's were not so wide in the body.

The modern MK safety plug is available in a colour called Charcoal from TLC direct. I have seen these be a slight shade of brown but I think it is more on the black side.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How about some GOLD ones?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

pigeon_brain likes this.
  14. Also a nifty new colour called 'transparet', which I suspect is a cross-dressing bird of some sort. So expect it to be very colourful.

When I were a lad, I did get a belt up me thumb from extracting a plug by wrapping my fingers under it for a better grip.

Didn't do me any harm. I say, it didn't do me any...