bs88 type 2 short-circuit capacity

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by daz-daz, Oct 21, 2010.

1. daz-daz

daz-daz New Member

hi can anyone please tell me the short-circuit capacity of a bs88 type 2 60amp for a domestic property.

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

80kA

3. daz-daz

daz-daz New Member

thanks i thought it shouldn't exceed 16.5ka in domestic properties or is that the reading given when tested with meter.

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Its 16 kA for domestic..sorry about that.

5. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

I'm not conversant with, as you say BS88 type 2.

But on any conventional HRC fuse with a breaking capacity of say 80KA ....That IS there breaking capacity no-matter what the level of the equipment that it is there protecting. It will protect that equipment upto and including a fault level of 80KA...

I'm not sure if there was a 60A rating in BS88, i know there was an 80A rating... The 60A rating was always, as i remember a BS1361 HRC Fuse.

6. daz-daz

daz-daz New Member

on old test form (NAPIT) it put down as BS88 type 2 but no box stating short-circuit capacity.

need to know for electrical certificate to be issued for new work.

thanks

7. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Domestic fuses are usually BS1361 Type 2 which have a 33kA Capacity, cant say i've seen any BS88 ones used as supply fuses

8. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

daz-daz,

BS88 type fuses were always considered as industrial fuses. As far as i remember rated at 415 vac/250 vdc and had a 80KA(ac)/40KA(dc) breaking capacity..

HRC fuses for domestic and smaller commercial installation were to BS1361. Can't remember actual KA rating but remember for a 60A rating it was .38KA for .4sec disconnection time, and .70KA for a 5sec disconnection time. Funny the things you remember and have stick in your mind, isn't it ...lol!!!

Are you sure it was a BS88 Fuse?? As Caddy says the BS1361 has a type 2 demarcation, but not as i recall the BS88 Fuse...

9. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I suppose this to be yet another enquiry for the sake of futile form-filling that when completed, no one will take notice of.

If this is a domestic installation, then just record 16.5kA in that silly tick box.

The common rating values of fuses will be found somewhere in the mid-section of the OSG - a wonderful bedtime fiction to send one to sleep........

Lucia.

10. FireballXL5

FireballXL5 New Member

BS88 = 80kA

BS1361 type 1 = 16.5kA, type 2 33kA

11. daz-daz

daz-daz New Member

on the old form it says bs88 type 2. i thought it had to be 16.5ka for domestic houses. so would this need to be changed

12. FireballXL5

FireballXL5 New Member

Most definitely.

You'll have the FBI at your door otherwise!

13. J.P.

J.P. New Member

415v = 80kA

240v (230v) = 16kA

Same BS88 type 2 in both instances.

14. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Although the 16kA is synonymous with a 1361..;)