Bt infinity sockets!!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gman34, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Gman34

Gman34 Member

Hi one of my customers has a infinity master with the rj45 and phone socket on bottom . he then had a slave in the lounge where his hub is

His phone and hub are to be plugged in the lounge . bt had supplied a rj45 wall socket . there is no port for a normal phone on the back of his hub . what do i need to do to allow him to plug the phone and hub in the same socket in the lounge?
    I have not come across infinity before so though i had better find out .
    Can you fit a filter or can you buy a dual face plate ?

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

3 pair Cw1308 cable. 1 pair to carry UNFILTERED VDSL to an RJ45 outlet, the other two pairs to carry FILTERED normal phone (2 3 4 5) to a phone socket.

The VDSL face plates have provision for all these connections.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Gman34

Gman34 Member

its already wired so change the slave from a rj45 socket to a vdsl ?

4. Gman34

Gman34 Member

its only got 2 pair cable .....

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

You could probably do it with 2 pair as most phones these days don't need the bell wire.

6. Lectrician

If its already wired, you need to add another wire, for a normal phone point.

The VDSL filter is not like a normal ADSL filter (although backward compatible), it is far higher grade. You cannot add further filters. The NTE5a with the VDSL filter on must be where the line splits, from here inwards you keep everything data and voice separate, on separate pairs.

Ignore post above, you should distribute the ring wire as not all phones do not require it. It doesn't affect the VDSL as its after the filter.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

:rolleyes:

8. Lectrician

It is a bodge not distributing the ring wire and there is no excuse at all not to.

The OP has asked for the VDSL and voice at the extension location. This cannot be achieved with a single pair.

9. Gman34

Gman34 Member

I have the solution !! I will just take the bt master off join the pair coming in to my cable going to the lounge and fit the bt master in the lounge then i can run the hub and phone off of the bt master . I will just put a blank plate over the old master . Bt probably wont like it but hey ho!

10. Gman34

Gman34 Member

thanks guys :)

11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I wouldn't recommend that, it is against BT Openreach terms and conditions and if in the future they do come out for a fault, your will most likely be charged/fined.

What you need is a VDSL faceplate adapter which has the option to carry the VDSL signal unfiltered to a second extension:

https://www.clarity.it/vdsl_nte5_adaptor_faceplate.htm

12. Lectrician

What you link to is what BT have already installed. He also has the unfiltered extension in place, again, installed by BT. It's a voice extension he wants.

13. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Ah, I assumed he had one of the original VDSL faceplates which could not carry a VDSL signal to an extension. The newer MKII (2014) ones do.

My point about tampering with the main BT socket is still valid though ;)