Bt Master socket

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Leebob, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Leebob

Leebob New Member

Just brought a house the bt master socket is wired to a box on the opposite side of the wall to outside and its all hanging off in a mess.

What box can I replace it with on the outside and inside and how's it wired. (junction box on external wall/new master socket internal? )

I'm not paying bt to do it no point.

Any help much appreciated

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Firstly, It's BT's property, so it needs to be done properly. I cannot recommend you do it, and if it goes **** up you could end up with a hefty bill from Openreach.

Is the master socket the NTE5? Or is it an older type?

You can replace the outside box with a BT66b. Take into consideration your neighbors may be connected to the current box, so pulling everything out is not an option.

To perform the joints you need to use jelly crimps, these are suited to telephone wire and can be connected using a pair of pliers.

You're going to have two cores coming into the master socket from BTs line. These need to be connected to the master socket but are not polarity conscious, so there is no order to crimp them in. Note the feed cable from the street may be 8 or more cores, and as mentioned, your neighbours may be connected to another of these pairs.

It is likely the internal box is a mess due to the number of phone extensions in the property. These can be removed or joined elsewhere to aid tiding this box.

A picture of the current installation of the master socket and external junction box would be very useful to give more advice:).

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

simple - its BT's responsibility up to the box inside your house - tell them to fix it. If they accuse you of damaging it, ask them to prove it - they can't.

BT charge and a fortune for their phone service, make them work for it

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As said, the master socket and everything upstream from that is BTs responsibility and you should NOT alter it. If it is hanging of and rattling against the wall then call BT and ask them to come and repair or replace it. They will know you have just moved in - change of customer at the address and the Technician that arrives will be able to tell that it has been like it for a while. If he is well trained, and most are, then he may well replace or tidy up the cable to the master as well.

And the offer of a decent coffee/tea and biscuits or a bacon roll will always go down well.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And if the drop cable from pole to house is in bad condition get them to replace it as well, most engineers will give the line a full test.
    If you getting FTTC, then check using https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ will give you some idea what speed your line will support.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

When I moved, was told by BT that an engineer would be need to "connect" the line. When chappy came round, I offered the usual beverages/biscuits and told him I wanted the the master socket moved. He obliged very willingly and re-did the wiring from the overhead cable where it met the house, all the way to the new master socket in exactly the place I wanted it.

I guess the challenge might be convincing BT that they need to tend to their socket/wiring, but as above it is their responsibility.

7. Leebob

Leebob New Member

Wire comes up from floor into box through wall to master socket its a simple job that I can do.

Just rang bt they said contact a local engineer and he'll be able to sort it out???

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Are you just now talking about replacing the master socket, or also the box outside?

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Replacing master socket is easy. Yea, its BTs but very simple job. Done that a few times. :oops:

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Indeed, I've done it to. Did get a shock at one point, I think its around 50 volts!

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thats because you are an atheist!! lol :p:p

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've done it to a few when I'm around other trades. Tell them to hold the two wires and ring the line from your mobile:D:D
    Works every time and it's funny as ****!:D
    Don't know what heath and safety would have to say about that:oops:

Changed hundreds of them through the years. Only ever had an issue once, gave the engineer 50 quid and he forgot all about it...

KIAB and koolpc like this.
  13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If you want to get technical, it's Openreach property:p

One of my customers waited over six months for them to come out, eventually they paid me to replace everything from the drop onwards.

14. Leebob

Leebob New Member

What socket wire and junction box is needed?

I'll post photos later when I get back

Ordered a nte5
    And bt66b with jelly crimps

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

BT said that! I cannot believe it as it is BT property and they are very protective of the network too ensure safety and integrity. They only allow their staff and sub-contracyors to change wiring on the network side of te master. I suggest you ask for it in writing before you touch it.

ramseyman likes this.
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

They probably meant to contact local Openreach engineer.

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not sure OpenReach have "local" engineers, you have to book them via BT. As Pollowick said, I'm surprised that BT said what they said as Leebob said.

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I think they got it wrong as obviously BT would not say to get any old engineer

19. Leebob

Leebob New Member

I'm the engineer now

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well then you have to work through an open window, reaching out.

robinj66 likes this.