Bubbles and peeling on silk paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SMW, May 6, 2016.

1. SMW

SMW New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum, been lurking for some time :)

I recently painting 2 coats of silk in a room with no room. Left it a few days and then went back to touch up a few areas with teh roller where is was a little patchy. the areas I have painted for the 3 time now have small bubbles on them. SO i busted but now they keep peeling creating large holes. left it a day and then tried priming it with acrylic primer. Even the primer bubbled though (over the silk paint but no bubbled over the bare patches that where peeled off.

Do anyone know why this is happening and how to solve it?

The heating hasnt been on as I am not living there yet, but the room is around 10-12oC

Thanks in advance

S

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DId you wash the walls before applying the paint, was the paint dry prior to a second coat has the wall been re plastered recently.

3. SMW

SMW New Member

Hi Astramax, yes I washed it with sugar soap, second coat applied when first was dry and the walls havent been plastered in some time, assuming since built (1992)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Everbuild 406 is the sealer I've used here & my favourite sealer, gallons of it, to seal the walls & ceiling,which have a distempter type finish.
    Have given the walls two coats of sealer,& then applied emulsion, no signs of bubbles or peeling.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

With respect Kiab, the OP's talking about silk emulsion with his problem(not sure if your referencing matt emulsion or silk)
    It's really weird stuff, have used it myself and had bubbling problems as well, posted it on here at the time for some advice

I reckon it's the vinyl in the paint (whatever that actually is) forms a cling film like layer over the paint really quickly, as your painting in warm weather. If you stir the paint, there's all long snotty threads of well, snot like stuff in the tub

Problem I had was painting regular emulsion over the silk, causing tiny bubbles to form. It's like the new paint sits on the silk and the vinyl seals the paint. The water in the emulsion causes the silk to bubble as its drying, but that's only my theory

PS. DA really , really, really doesn't like silk paint - "hellish" is a word I think he uses :eek:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have had a bubble problem twice, both times I left it overnight to dry and they had gone by the next day. I'm sorry to say touching up silk emulsion is doomed to failure . You do not require a sealer coat as you would not have any distemper used on a property of that age. Sounds like you are not applying enough paint and stretching it too far to end up with a patchy finish.

7. SMW

SMW New Member

thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated

8. SMW

SMW New Member

so still no joy with this folks. Tried laying on silk thick but more bubbles. so then sanded and layed on two coats of acrylic primer thick which didnt bubble and then tried silk over but it bubbled again. I am thicking of stripping back a good 2 metres square of the wall and letting it air out a few days and trying again. Though there is no way that water could be under the silk. I have attached a recent pic of the bubbles paint1.jpg

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The primer you used was water based (acrylic) you should have used an oil based primer sealer.

SMW likes this.
  10. SMW

SMW New Member

so here is where i am at lol. I sanded down the bubbles then sprayed with oil based primer. only a handful of bubbles appeared. then rolled over with the silk. where the primer was, no bubbles appeared but bubbles appeared around the edge of the primer where it met existing silk.

Back to square one. So i sanded the entire room to remove bubbles and provide a key on the slk paint. then painted with matt emulsion. the same thing is happening! bubbles on all walls now. It got me thinking that the 3rd coat of silk was probably a dodgey one? I THINK i shook the can instead of stiring, could that be the reason? either way any paint going on is causing bubbles now and I really don't fancying painting the entire room with oil based paint

Unsure what to do next? this room is doing my head in lol

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

12. SMW

SMW New Member

would there be any alternative than painting the entire room with oil based primer? just dont feel comfortable about the fumes over time

13. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Have you tried speaking to the paint manufacturers technical help line, they may be able to offer answers

14. SMW

SMW New Member

Hi all. Apologies about the late update. Just been up to my eyeballs with this house.

So the paint is homebase own brand, as the colour wasn’t available in any other brand. They told me to visit the store (some distance!) with the paint and they will sort me out.

I visited the store and then weren’t’t very useful, in fact, they put me on the phone to their helpline. They offered a full refund but that wouldn’t have sorted the walls, I wanted them to get a tradesman to sort it. They weren’t’t quite sure how it could have happened so said they will be in touch to arrange an independent visit from tradesman to inspect.

I waited and waited but no call and impatiently just decided to try something new...peel the paint. I don’t know why i didn’t’t think of it in the first place lol. It took about 7 draining hours but I peeled every single bit of paint off the walls, which came off like driedt skin. ...finally the walls were back to normal and I coated them with 2 coats of matt paint and the room now looks fine.

Still no word from homebase...