Bubbling Matt Emulsion Paint - please help!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by leebs, Feb 6, 2017.

1. leebs

leebs New Member

Hello Screwfix Community,

I am new to this, so hello to one and all.

If anybody can please offer some advice I would be most grateful.

Here is my situation;

I am decorating my bedroom, which hasn't been decorated for about 12 years or so. In the beginning the walls were freshly plastered and then once properly dry an aubergine matt emulsion was painted on three them and an off white on one of them.

My other half and I wanted to go for something totally different colour, and decided on a deep red. We bought numerous tester posts from Homebase; Homebase own brand, Crown and Dulux.

On the recommendation of the paint man at Homebase I bought some matt Johnstones paint to paint the entire room matt white as a base before painting the colour on it.

I washed the walls and other paint work with a white vingar solution before applying any paint.

I painted a couple of small areas with two coats of the white to apply some testers and all was good, no bubbles. I allowed it to dry properly then put on the testers, again no bubbles and then decided on the colour we liked, which ended up being the Homebase Showstopper red.

I painted the entire room matt white including the ceiling, and it went on okay without any bubbles, except I was having some drying issues around the ceiling edge of the room which goes against the house next-door, outside wall and the double glazed window, perhaps this was because it has been so cold of late. I also do not have cavity wall insulation and live in a terrace, the house next door that is next to my bedroom is currently vacant. I kept the radiator on and put in a portable heater to warm the room further. The paint dried after a day, which was a bit rubbish, but it dried.

I put on a second coat and waited again until it had dried thoroughly, no bubbles. I bought 2 x 2.5l cans of the Homebase Matt Emulsion, following the instructions on the can, I stirred the paint and then using a roller I already had that hadn't been used and a clean paint tray, I applied my first coat, which although looked a little patchy was completely bubble free. I wrapped my roller in cling film to keep it moist as I have always done.

A few days later I did another coat with the same roller and a millions bubbles appeared on all three walls. In the first instance, using a Stanley blade I scrapped them off and let the paint dry. I used a brand new paint pad to add a third coat and still I had bubbles. I then let the paint dry thoroughly and scrapped and sanded all the bubbles away. I went to Homebase and spoke to the paint man about the problem and he was baffled, he suggested trying Dulux paint over it, so I had a tester pot made up in the red I like and painted it on the wall in the worst areas. It bubbled to start with and then in the morning when I checked the bubbles had mostly gone, mostly, but some where still there. Unfortunately the colour is not a perfect match and duller than the Homebase red and I don't really like it that match. I prefer the Homebase Showstopper, so I was wondering can I paint my walls with a primer of some sort and then paint the Homebase Showstopper red on it to have a bubble free surface?

I used a Crown Creme De La Roase off white on my other wall and it was bubble free, so I assume it was the Homebase paint then.

Any thoughts please?

many thanks

2. Janet59

Janet59 New Member

Unfortunately I also have had this problem. The problem is that the new water based paint makes the paint underneath wet and it peels off the new plaster. You really need to prime the plaster with either an oil based primer sold for the purpose or use oil based undercoat or primer let down with white spirit, it will smell a lot so open lots of Windows. Let it dry completely say for 24 hours and then paint as you would normally. I also had to remove all the paint from the plaster as the plaster underneath was so bad, I had to do this with a heat gun and a Stanley blade scraper, it actually came off really easily in big sheets if it is not well adhered to the plaster but is is very easy to damage the plaster. OR you could do a test area where you leave the old paint on and apply the primer and see if that works first that way you don't have to remove all the old stuff.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like the problem you had was Contract Matt being over painted with Vinyl Matt a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 would have sorted the problem.

TheScruffy likes this.
  4. Janet59

Janet59 New Member

Yes but this is yet another water based product. Oil based undercoat really works and it is cheap.

5. Janet59

Janet59 New Member

He forgot to prime the plaster.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get it all the time with DIYer's, I don't do cheap;)

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be honest you are right with the oil base Primer Sealer :oops:. Zinsser will do the job also! :p:D

8. leebs

leebs New Member

The plaster is 15 years old, and the previous paint that was painted on it didn't bubble.

9. leebs

leebs New Member

Thank you I will look into it.

10. leebs

leebs New Member

Will it affect the colour of the paint though once applied and then dried please?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry my post was in reply to janet59, I'll read the original post and digest it.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

12 years ago was the emulsion paint matt, silk, etc.
    What is the roller sleeve made of.

13. Mrmatt

Mrmatt New Member

If price isn't an issue I would recommend sanding the wall and then painting it with shellac zinnser...which is usually dry well within an hour. Then applying 2 coats of your wall colour, maybe more as red usually needs more coats

Alternatively instead of shellac zinnser you can also use oil based undercoat, or some people use oil based primer sealer - both of which take around a day before it will dry

14. Janet59

Janet59 New Member

I have this problem in every room in my house, the plaster is 1950s poor quality and it has numerous hairline cracks and holes. There are layers and layers of emulsion paint. If I paint more emulsion over it I get bubbles and peeling. The remedies are
    1. to remove all the old paint with a Stanley blade scraper and a heatgun and then repair and seal the plaster with an oil based primer or
    2. remove all the plaster and get the room replastered or
    3. try and sand the paint off which damages the plaster underneath. Someone else did this in the sitting room and even though I have tried to repair it the plaster still looks as if it has been sanded badly.
    Going back the the original poster of this question as you don't know what's there on the wall already you need to try to seal what's there. I don't know what Johnstones contract is but if it is water based you may still need to seal all the walls. All paints are basically the same recipe so which brand you use probably does not make any difference, I have never used Homebase paint, I gave up using own brand paints as I found they fade faster than branded ones. Anyway I hope you got it sorted.

15. Janet59

Janet59 New Member

I also meant to add if you don't have too many holes and layers of paint, just seal it with an oil based product. As with all these things do a test area first.

16. TheScruffy

TheScruffy Member

Hi astramax I have noticed a number of your replies to questions and you seem to no what your talking about. I posted a question about using Bullseye 123 yesterday and wondered if you’d mind taking a look for me?