Builder or carpenter - new doors and frames

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SILeitch, Jul 25, 2016.

1. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

I need new interior doors and frames put in, and need the materials provided. Is this a carpenter job or builder job? I'll expect the walls tidied up. :)

2. yozzer

yozzer Member

Chippy

SILeitch likes this.
  3. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

Thanks, I actually was thinking it might be a builder but I'll advertise out for an estimate and a start date .

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A builder would just hire a chippie and charge a mark up.

SILeitch likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are the holes in the walls already?

SILeitch likes this.
  6. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

No, this is an ex council flat and the doors and frames are non standard so will need new frames i think. The kitchen also needs to have a firedoor. I suspect the only way the existing frames can be used is to have made to measure doors and would be good to have matching frames.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They are most likely imperial doors, doors are available they are 40mm thick. Either 626 0r 726 mm widths.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The existing frames for a job i did were badly fitted during first fix.

If kitchen needs fire door, then frame may not be suitable, fire doors are quite heavy so need a strong frame.

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That also needs to be a fire door frame. ;)

10. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

Kitchen is firedoor and biggest : Width 720, Height : 201 Depth about 44mm
    Living Room is Width 725, depth 44
    most of the others are same apart from 1 which is only 40mm

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What is the height of the other doors?

12. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

They are 2m for the most part with a couple having been planed at the bottom for carpet allowance, in 1 case overly so.

13. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

6 doors total , 4 are solid including kitchen door and the other 2 are hollow

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Definitely imperial door sizes, is the door stop removable or part of the frame?

2040 x 726mm is the size, have a look on door deals, then order from builders merchant. I know the 626mm wide took a bit longer to arrive as they make them up specially to order (4-5 weeks).

[​IMG]

SILeitch likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May be able to utilise the frames which would be a lot cheaper and less work - unless they have been fitted badly.

Some doors I fitted in a council property for someone, doors still had gaps even without planning, and frames weren't fixed in plumb which meant when doors were shut the top/bottom would stick out when hitting the stop.

If you deice to get new frames - use the same person to who will be fitting the doors to fix in frames as well, this way they'll ensure it is all correct.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    SILeitch likes this.
  16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Best to go for solid doors, as hollow ones only ally so much trimming to the sides.

Had to fit one where it had to be shortened in height by 1", and new batten had to be reinstated, when only mm's left :eek:

SILeitch likes this.
  17. SILeitch

SILeitch New Member

Very useful information, thanks. The door stops are part of the frames and the hinges on the 2 hollow doors just look like standard hinges whereas the heavy duty doors have big slip type hinges . I need to find someone in London or SE to do this.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Try posting some photos.