Builder problems

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SmartyMarty, Dec 3, 2016.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Quite possibly on the plans from the architect. Surely an architect would realise you can't get 150mm bearing with an rsj going at 90 degrees into a brick wall? (we know builders don't always go by the drawings though,,,, and customers often think they can change things without informing others)

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Padstone size depends on the load carried by the beam and the strength of the masonry it's sat on. As stated above it should be specified by the SE and clearly shown on the drawings and if it wasn't then the BCO should have asked for it: how is he supposed to check otherwise?

Material? a length of prestressed concrete lintel is easiest: plenty of different sizes available. Nothing wrong with engineering bricks provided you use enough courses. You can get precast padstones including "L" shaped ones or a steel plate can be used. Should a different type be required from that shown on the drawings then the SE approval should be sought.

KIAB likes this.
  3. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

So the builder is now trying to get me to agree to a pillar - which he said the BCO told him he could do. I'm pretty sure he didn't and I'm now waiting for a call back. He said to me that there's no way he could install it to the SE's specs as next doors RSJ was butting against the end of mine. 'Right up to it' he said - no space to move.

I then showed him the photo I took before he installed it.
    WP_20160929_16_28_11_Raw.jpg WP_20160929_16_28_30_Raw.jpg

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

Enough room to swing a cat. There's at least a foot of wall there - maybe more - enough for the 150mm on the padstone. Pillar my **** - he's going to install a correct sized RSJ or I'm getting someone else to do it and he can pay - He's getting 14 days notice tomorrow after I speak to the BCO and if he doesn't complete then I'm getting quotes.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What the wall made out of, rubble plastered over. :D:D

KIAB and CGN like this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nothing that a bit of grey stixall can't sort! :D

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Or dynamite!

8. Gulp - are you telling us that the RSJ's end only protruded 50mm in to that wall?!

Bludy 'ell.

Post #43 suggests the builder is now simply trying to fob you off and lying about the acceptance of a pillar? If so, that guy has no respect for you at all as a customer, and ny trust that may have existed - tho' I suspect it was slight - has effectively gone.

I'd personally like that builder gone too, but I fear you are stuck with him unless the situation really does break down irrevocably.

I don't know what payment arrangements you had with him, but I would make absolutely certain that from now on you hold back enough in each instalments so that you are FULLY covered should you have to dismiss him.

Also keep a detailed, dated, timed, log of all these conversations - especially ones where is clearly fibbing to you. Write them down asap after the event, and try and recall the exact words used as well as an overview. If you need to get rid of him and he challenges this, then detailed notes will stand you in very good stead.

KIAB likes this.
  9. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

Consumer rights act changed in Oct 2015 to say if he doesn't fulfil his contract in the reasonable time allowed then I can terminate it and search for quotes for all outstanding work. I accept a quote and inform him then, by law, he has 14 days to give me the money.

10. He has to give you the money? What money? He's been paid in advance?

Can you confirm my earlier Q, please - are you telling us that the RSJ's ends only protruded 50mm in to that wall?!

11. If you are going a legal route, make 100% certain - and then check again - that you are doing it 100% correctly and by the book, 100%.

Do you have LP on your house insurance?

KIAB likes this.
  12. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

The ends were 50mm on the padstones that were flush with the stone wall. That mess you can see is what they used to fill alongside next doors rsj. Remind me what's LP on the policy.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Legal protection I think.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Even if beams were 100mm bearing, still feel a bit weary with the pictures showing the make up of wall.

Did SE know the construction of wall when calculating?, you could send them pictures to see if they are happy with it's construction.

The builder could also say that the wall isn't strong enough hence pillars now be built. Agree may not look as nice.

15. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

WP_20161001_13_15_41_Raw.jpg The wall is a pretty impressive stone wall. It's built from large blocks and the hole you see was mainly one single piece of stone that went all the way from my side to next door. Nearly all the walls are made like this in the house. It was constructed in 1893 and some walls are two foot thick - what you are looking at is packing material used when they installed the beam next door.
    Today the builder pretty much agreed that the wrong lintel was in there. He tried to get me to back down because he said he'd have to acro the ceilings again and it might split the plaster that's been put up there and it would have to be repaired. I pointed out that none of that was on me and if he'd have installed the correct RSJ in the first place then we wouldn't be in this predicament. In the back of my mind I overheard him saying they delivered the RSJ short back before he installed it but he went with it. All if it is his fault and he needs to rectify it to the original specifications that I paid for. Yes, I paid him already for this job, but I have 2k held back for completion. That should cover work if I need someone else to come in.

KIAB likes this.
  16. Wow - impressive indeed!

Well done for sorting this, and good luck for a smooth conclusion.

Keep us updated :)

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A good result so far, hopefully it will all work out ok in the end.:)

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Fingers crossed. U have done well

19. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

He just agreed to repair his mistake without a pillar to the spec that was originally agreed. Max timeframe 14 days which is what I gave him. Should be done in a couple of days but if he drags it out after the 14 days I'm taking it to the next level.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

He may very well be a member on these forums! lol