Builder problems

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SmartyMarty, Dec 3, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Watch out to see if he holds the RSJ up with Stixall. Or possibly Dynamite.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite is my guess ;)

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at the state of the wall, perhaps your right. :p:p:p:p:p

koolpc likes this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Probably make a 'good' improvement!

6. Phil the Paver

7. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

Lol - even if he hits it with a few sticks of dynamite I'd put my money on the exterior walls still standing.

8. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

Update: Building inspector has seen the newly fitted, longer joist and it's been approved. He wouldn't take a photo as evidence this time because of the last time he was shown a photo by the builder.

Now I have to tell him to rehang some tapered plasterboard he put up for me because for some unknown reason he's tried to fill the taper with dot and dab and there's no way I'm spending two days sanding it flat before taping.

The rafters and roof joists he put in are 300 between........not 300 center to center. Which means I have to cut every bloody sheet I put up there. I mean thats pretty bloody basic stuff.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Get shot mate, he clearly isn't competent to carry on working on your home. And shouldn't be allowed to work on anyone else's.

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

It may be a gloomy thought, but are the rafters and joists supposed t be at 300crs?? What does the drawing show: if 300 then you are potentially understrength

11. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

Nothing on the drawing. Apparently its my fault for not telling him I was using boards. It's almost laughable.

12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I think Jord has it right: this is a clueless moron who shouldn't be let near a building. One wonders what he thought you might use?

If your designer didn't specify centres then its highly likely that standard 400 crs will be required so you should be fine strength wise.

13. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

He told me that the building inspector spec'd 14" centers which, amazingly enough, is the same as 300 between with the size of wood he used. So, whotagonnacall? The building inspector! He said that there's no way he'd have spec'd that on this job. 400/450/600 centers is the norm. The builders a liar as well as a **** builder

14. This 'builder' laid an undersized RSJ with inadequate end support, built a wall that ain't vertical, and now set the rafters and joists at a spacing that won't accommodate standard sized boards?

This builder isn't a builder. He is worse than a newbie DIYer. Much worse in some cases.

As you say, this is very basic stuff he's getting wrong.

I guess you are reluctant to get rid as the job is now well under way and hopefully nearing the stage where he is finished anyway, so keep on doing as you are - examine every detail and tackle him on them.

And please, seriously, give feedback on whatever websites he may be on, detailing the list of fundamental errors, so as to warn other people off. This guy - as you say - is a liar as well as a s*** builder. He should NOT be let anywhere near building materials. Ever again.

koolpc likes this.
  15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Kick that builder into touch NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. SmartyMarty

SmartyMarty New Member

Anything wrong with this stud wall?

Attached Files:

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Personally, i dont like the spacing of the noggins!

18. Phil the Paver

Strange way to fix the noggins.

Uprights look to far apart, what centres are they.

19. It looks ok at first glance at least. But most peeps - including DIYers - would have two noggins per gap, and use skew nails/screws to fit them so's they remain pretty much in line.

Adds extra firmness, and it helps to know where they all are after the boards go up.

However, if they are using 12mm board, I guess it'll all be 'ok'.

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks a bit "spindly" to me.