Builders - What's the problem - I need a job doing and no one is interested.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RichardG, Jun 19, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A couple of years ago I quoted for a concrete base,person turned me down because I like to thicken the edges of a base deeper 200mm - 300mm, about six months, same person came back to me & asked if I could relay a concrete base that had been laid, as it had cracked up:), I politely refused.

[​IMG]

Chippy mick likes this.
  2. RichardG

RichardG New Member

For the record guys and gals, this will be a 6m x 3.5m x 75mm or 100mm re enforced concrete base for a shed which is also going to be used as a gym. I'm dead lifting 140 kilo at the moment so anything less than this spec would be a waste of money as the concrete and / or paving slabs would get smashed to bits, even when I install my rubber mats it'll not last long if done on the cheap.

I'm already expecting to pay more than £1000 for the job and fully accept that it will not be 'cheap'. It's not the money that's the problem, it's getting someone to turn up, quote then do the work.

Seriously, I don't have a problem paying for a job well done.

3. Is it worth changing your enquiry spec to your builders and handymen then?

Instead of asking for a shed base, try heavy duty workshop base, or similar? So they know its a bit more than a basic base?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dead lifting 140 kilo, your concrete base needs to be thicker than 100mm.

5. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello, everyone seems to be in South Yorks! I didn't read all the posts so apologies if I have missed something. Is the site accessible for a 'ready mix' delivery ? If so, I would personally shutter up the area, source some hardcore, order the concrete and screed it off using the shuttering as your guide. Make sure all is level of course, and lay the bricks yourself! I'm only DIY but acquired the skills over years - a 19th century barn conversion and a listed building, plumbing, stone coursing, built three bespoke kitchens (anything else??) etc. Learn the skills yourself and have a go and save loads of cash - knowing YOU did it. Seems a bit beefy simply for a shed base but if that's what you want then go ahead. (plenty of concrete in Donny and Spinks have a brick library!!!)

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are ready mix concrete lorries around UK,with on board concrete pump & 60 mtr hose, (mixamate is one firm) or with conveyor which reaches 50'.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Perhaps the gentleman is too intimidating to the builders, they turn up to view the job and see him in a leopard skin leotard pumping iron growling for a quotation and run for the hills :D

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Could try asking at shed or log cabin places as they may know people who do exactly this for them

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Get on gumtree, run an add.

Jord86 likes this.
  10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Dig and mix by hand. You won't need the 140 kilo weights then. You should be able to do it all in a day - nice and hot at the moment so a free tan also.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Emailing don't work, in my opinion! Get on the phone, ring around.

12. RichardG

RichardG New Member

I can't do the work myself due to an annoying back injury. Whilst I can dead lift up to 140 Kilo I can't shovel soil for any more than 15 minutes or my back gives in. I'm actually off work with my back as I type this message, I don't even know how I did it as I've not been in the gym for five weeks due to a head cold / chest / ear and throat infection.

I also have a full time job, a fiancee and have my daughter on a weekend (she doesn't live with me) so my time is not my own nowadays.

I just need someone to take on the job and make it a good one.

I have been offered a realistic quotation from a guy that lives not too far away, he's quoted £1300 to do the shutter work, add hardcore and lay the concrete. He initially quoted £3300 but that was with a hell of a lot more work added to make a base which would no doubt survive a nuclear attack.

I think 100m depth will withstand the weight being banged about on it as I will be laying proper gym rubber matting over the concrete. The rubber mats can be over 30mm think if necessary.

What do you all think about this chaps quote?

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He's the only one that's bothered to turn up, listen to what you want, provide you with a quote, and doesn't live far away, so should get in and out in a couple of days. With all respects, whether his quote is high or low, there doesn't seem to be many others knocking down the door to quote. Unless he's a dribbling incoherent buffoon, I'd probably go with him.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Or a traveller

Jord86 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What say, a pikey? In this politically correct world we live in they are termed Caravan Utilising Nomadic TravellerS, sometimes abbreviated when your van or tools have gone....

Sparkielev likes this.
  16. Sparkielev

Yeah I admit to being PC

17. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

see my earlier post - not too much hard work :)

18. Sparkielev

He got a bad back and a cold

19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Wait until the summers over and everyone starts going quite, save yourself some money.
    Probably only a couple of weeks to wait

20. shepudpud

shepudpud New Member

We t
    We too in staffs having real problems, doesn't help you but very frustrating just want to get jobs done we have been landed with