Building control for Velux?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Patchworks, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Patchworks

Patchworks New Member

I'm about to have a velux installed in kitchen which is in an upstairs flat. Above kitchen is a pitched roof (22degrees), so will need to have a tunnel built and then an opening made in kitchen ceiling

Size of window (780 x1400) should involve removing two rafters and two joists (as far as I can tell).

What is the correct procedure for building control. Will I need to get someone to sign it off afterwards or can builder self certify.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it a trussed rafter roof? which I suspect it is.

When roof lights are installed, they require that the rafters either side are doubled up. Also doubled trimmer to the top and boo tom.

Interesting to find out, my rafters are 71 x 35mm. And are spaced at irregular center-to-center intervals.

Is there any chance that the window would fit in with just cutting the one strut, cutting 2 isn't a good idea and should be avoided.

Or alternatively look at dropping the size of the window to the next one down.

You could always contact your local planing officer for advice.