Building infill terrace house

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 14th edition, Jan 26, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Friend and me are looking at a small plot with PP to fill the gap between existing terrace houses. Its quite small with a span of 4m although quite deep. I realise the Party Wall Act will take effect and I am not sure at the mo whether they have approval from both neighbours. How generally are these built and what do we need to look out for? On the party walls is this dot n dabbed or do new walls have to be built? [Either side are 9" solid.] Which way in an ideal world would the footings run, is a reinforced slab an option? Your thoughts/advice appreciated!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Walk away.

Party walls agreements cost money,sometimes silly amounts, not hundreds, but thousands & sometimes hassle,a lot, can end up a money pit, wouldn't touch it myself.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I ain't in the business and I know nothing at all about it, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

Just my opinion.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Since the plot is quite deep, is it possible to set the house back to avoid any party wall issues ?

I would have a trawl around some architects to see what they think as the build costs may outweigh the value

5. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Mmm not looking a great prospect... Can't be set back and its not looking good generally!

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Welcome to the world of building

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's never easy.:rolleyes:

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

New wall skin either side, underpinning existing founds either side. 4m tuns to 3600mm. Planners wouldn't let you set back in a terrace I'm sure. You'll not be able to raise your ridge above the neighbours ridge line.

Would make sense in central London where prices are high. What price would a terrace house be valued at? Would need to be +£150k

KIAB likes this.
  9. If it's in London, PM me.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Exactly.

Unlikely you would make any profit on the house when sold.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you can find some houses in London for a £150k, I would have a couple. ;)

Got excited on Zoopla when I thought I had found a house for sale for £75k but it was just the garage :(

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Property auctions still bargains to be add.:)

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is it need of repair, IE: new walls, roof and door, at that price it must just be a parking space. :D

14. Phil the Paver

You been watching to many "homes under the hammer"

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You been watching day time TV again ?

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There has to be an episode where the guy buys a house in the auction, goes outside to have a smoke, sells the house to a passer by for a £50k profit. Goes back in buys two more houses where one house the owner has left a Rembrandt on the wall before leaving and the other has a classic American car in the garage with both the Roswell and Kennedy assassination tapes in the glove box.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

No, that's Storage Hunters isn't it. :D:D

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:D

19. Taylor - it's 6 in the mornin', man. You ain't makin' no sense, man - you should be in bed.

20. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Trolls don't sleep