Building regs help needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jimbo the chippy, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Jimbo the chippy

Jimbo the chippy New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi I'm going to be making a timber frame outbuilding on timber posts. I was wondering if my section drawings are ok. I'm pretty sure the floors fine as air can flow underneath the building and the walls have a breathable membrane so think that's ok but not sure about the roof because it won't be able to breath due to the joist running in different directions to counter lever itself. Any help much appreciated

(Please see photos below)

Attached Files:

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi ,
    We lay the insulation on top of the roof timbers, ?
    Not in Between?

"Warm roof "

Regards
    Peter

3. roughberty

roughberty Member

If you are going to pay the Building Control fee, why not get your money's worth and get them to help you with the spec/drawing/etc? Has always worked for me.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The size of timber depends on the size and height of your building and what you want to keep in it. You have 6x2 for the roof and 5x2 for the walls and floors? the size of these are dependent on the span.

Supporting the structure on timber posts is not the best, I would seriously think of brick /block piers or even synthetic posts.

You also need to consider the effect of racking on the structure as you build. I would suggest swapping the interior plasterboard for a thinner plywood or mdf skin, glued and fixed to the frame. ]

You may also need to think about doubling up some of the joists around the perimeter to support the weight of the walls.

I would also look at solving the issue of drips at the bottom of the cladding

And the one thing a lot of people forget about - keeping rodents at bay