Building regulations - distance between smoke alarm and light fitting?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ProDave, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Recently completed the wiring of a new build. Building control did an inspection and failed it, because in his opinion two of the four smoke detectors are too close to light fittings.

He says they should be a minimum of 1 foot between the light and the smoke. I measered them and it's about 10 inches. He waffled on something about the convection from the heat of the light bulb would stop any smoke reaching the detector!

Now yes I could move them, but that would leave a spare hole in the newly decorated ceiling, which of course the owner doesn't want. They are in the location that the owner wants, and as shown on the plans.

So my question is, is this a building regulation, if so does anyone have a link to the exact wording of that regulation, or is he just dreaming? Note we are in Scotland, so it would have to be scottish regs, not England / Wales.

I know this particular BC officer well, and when he gets the bit between his teeth, he's like a dog with a bone and won't let it drop, unless you can prove with documentation that it IS okay.
  2. Coloumb

Coloumb Active Member

Sorry Dave, but he's right. They should be a minimum 300mm from any wall or light or follow manufacturers destructions.

Pg 120 EG to the BR.
  3. X

X New Member

Use the combined fitting ... sorted
  4. X

X New Member

5. Smokey

Smokey Member

Bldg Control will defer to manufacturers instructions; many state not within 3 metres of light fitting, but in UK this is often not practical.
    Besides the heat argument (which the plug in smoke alarms ignore one presumes), the major concern is good old EMI ie interference.
    Now with widespread adoption of CFL's in every room/Building Regs requirements there is more concern than ever about EMI.

Good old GLS lamps didn't have that issue.
    Additionally as smoke alarms are commonly wired off adjacent lighting circuit, there's also concern about any dimmers/low voltage transformers on same circuit!
    :(

See page 3 of this manual for typical exclusions.
  6. Smokey

Smokey Member

7. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Now with widespread adoption of CFL's in every
    room/Building Regs requirements there is more concern
    than ever about EMI.

Good old GLS lamps didn't have that issue.
    Additionally as smoke alarms are commonly wired off
    adjacent lighting circuit, there's also concern about
    any dimmers/low voltage transformers on same
    circuit!

Didn't do that. The four smokes in this house have their own circuit and are inter linked, so one sounds and they all sound.

Looks like 300mm it is then. The separation is very close to that, so I am sure I can tweak the spacing to get 305mm without spoiling the ceiling, and if the BC inspector still argues, I will sugest he climbs on his step ladder and measures the distance.