Bulb

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ryluer, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Our customer had a visit from farm depart-mental officials.
    They had a look in his barn and said the bulb holder doesn't comply with current regulations for some reason and the bulb must be removed.

He explained its been like that for 60 years with the same bulb but the box ticker still insisted it had to go.

So he removed the bulb and when the official left he replaced it again.
    Hopeful that it will last another 60 years.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Bloody box tickers! If the holder is a problem what good would removing the lamp do?

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I wonder if they actually did anything useful and helpful for the customer on their visit, I'm going to hazard a guess and say no.

4. Gazza999

Gazza999 New Member

Humm.. What sort of bulb holder was it and for what bulb ? Onion, shallot, Garlic!!!

I presume you are talking about a bulb as in a plant storage organ, as "bulbs" for luminaires are classed as Lamps.

Best advise for your "customer" would be to get a spark that can at least describe the componants of the system properly, the QUALIFIED spark that your customer uses will be fully conversant both with BS7671 and it's exceptions for agricultural/ horticultural premises.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do you work for the same pedantic box ticking department by any chance!

Ryluer likes this.
  6. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I never have understood this thing about bulbs and lamps.
    Bulb manufacturer's refer to their product as bulbs, so why can't electricians?

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Never heard of "lamp" before. Apart fom "LAMP shade".
    Haw many light lamp jokes have you ever heard?

Customers grandfather fitted this bulb 60 years ago. Its still emits light to this day.
    Quite amazing I reckon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Quite right. If it's 'bulb' shaped. It's a bulb!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Going to the garden centre over the coming weekend to buy some spring flowering luminaires for the garden.

KIAB likes this.
  10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Bulbs you plant in the garden

lamps go in light fititngs

KIAB likes this.
  11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

..And lights have wires coming out of them

KIAB likes this.
  12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No mate, bulbs go in light fittings.

If a customer asked you to change the bulbs in his premises would you really ask him how many "lamps" he required and leave him confused?

No of course you wouldn't unless your gonna start making your self look a fool and tell him "bulbs" go in the garden.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  13. Great logic, Ry (yes, can't resist the chance to have another go...)

Of course no-one would misunderstand 'changing a bulb', and no sparky would be pedantic about this - a bit like "Can you hoover this up for me?" and you look around in dismay 'cos all you have is a Dyson.

But, if 'lamp' is the correct, then why shouldn't sparkies use it?

There are the 'correct' terms and there's the everyday ones. You don't have to use the correct ones, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I like the metric system. But I also like the imperial system. I'm proficient with both.
    Which is why I always use imperial when talking to customers because they understand it.
    For example if a customer asks me whats the best height of wall for a certain job I'd never say 2.4m because they wouldn't have a clue what height that was.
    On the other hand if I said 8 feet then right away they know. Far too many idiots in the trades now imo. On a big site I'd laugh in their faces.

If a spark wants to use the term "lamp" to describe the proper term "bulb" then he should only use it when he's talking to another "lamp" advocate.
    Type "lamp" into google and it brings up table lamps. Nuff said.

15. A sparky should dumb-down that much for his customers?

If the correct term is 'lamp' and if it's the term used on a daily basis by the sparky in his work, and if he meets a customer who will almost certainly understand what he/she means by 'lamp', then why shouldn't he/she use the term 'lamp'? After all, the sparky is educating his customer :)

After all, if the customer happened to look blank at the mention of the term 'lamp', the sparky could always revert to using the word 'bulb' for their sake. After all, most sparkies are proficient is the use of both terms... :rolleyes:

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

He'd have to be a mind reader to know his customer understands what a "lamp" is. I've never heard the term used before so I don't understand it. If a pedantic spark used it on me I'd probably lamp him good and proper.LoL.
    My customer called it a "bulb".

Are you saying some one is clever if they call a "bulb" a "lamp"? If that's the case it must be a "bulb" in your book. [​IMG]

17. Methinks you 'laugh' too hard... :rolleyes:

Especially given that, since you claim to have never heard the term 'lamp' before, you therefore "don't understand it".

Lamp. Lamp. Lamp.

Not to worry - I did say that most sparkies would be happy to dumb-down when faced with such ignorance.

And hopefully they'd be tactful enough to not 'lol' in their customer's face as they revert to the term 'bulb'.

However tempting it may be... :rolleyes:

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Bulb, Bulb, Bulb.
    [​IMG]

19. :)

Have a good day, Ry :)

20. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I put a new light fitting in my garage one evening. In the morning it was lying smashed on the floor. Turns out it was a heavy fitting which i bought by mistake.