Bullseye 123 - What Roller?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Chorlton, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

I'm painting a wall that has lots of holes patched with filler. To even up the finish before painting I have decided to try some Bullseye 123 as an undercoat, which seems to be the miracle product mentioned on here quite a lot.

What is the best type of roller sleve to use for this type of paint? Short pile, medium pile, microfibre, mohair, sponge?

Anybody got experience of this?

Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Used long pile 4 inch fluffy that's been used for emulsion then washed and dried. Mr fluffy I call them. Hamilton 4 inch green if you can track down is good. Trouble with Mr fluffy rollers is the fluff comes out if it's a naff one. I can't get enough paint on with flock and foam rollers

3. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused though, aren't long pile rollers for rough surfaces? I spoke to the Zinsser helpline and they said use a short pile mohair, which I thought was for gloss....

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wayners said 4" Mr Fluffy, Zinsser said 4" mohair I say it doesn't really matter what roller you use as the Zinsser is used as the primer sealer and will soak well into the filler.

5. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Doesn't each type of roller give a different finish though? Doesn't a long pile roller give a textured finish? Also, why do you use a 4" roller and not a 9" roller?

cheers

6. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you are happy to use a 9" roller use it, thought you were using the 123 to spot prime filled areas. Short or medium pile will do.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

9. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've painted the entire wall with 123 because of all the filler I've had to use on the wall.

In the end I used the Hamilton 9" roller (linked above) but it left like a strange orange peel type finish. Maybe I'll try a fluffy roller next time.......

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think as it was a whole wall with loads of filler in it I would of thinned the 123 on the initial coat 20% so it gave it a chance to soak in well.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I always liked the Silver Wraith.

12. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

I thinned by the recommended amout on the tin, 78ml per litre, which seems a very precise amount. But it still turned out ****. Maybe I'll just get a re-skim in future.....

13. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Is there really a paint roller called a Silver Wraith???? Not to be confused with a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, which would leave tyre marks on my wall.

14. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Sorry, but I hate rollers! The orange peel finish really looks awful especially on old buildings. Painted for years with brushes and prefer the controllability, cutting in, laying off etc. Frankly, I think rollers/trays/handles are all something else to clean!

15. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I don't use 123 or anything like it on filler. I go in with a slightly thinned coat first then on to finish coats. Never had an issue doing it this way and once the top coat is dry i'd defy anyone to find the filled areas.
    All seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Tishu likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What were you hoping to achieve using the Bullseye.

17. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

I thought it might hide the difference between the filled areas and the plaster. Perhaps I should have used something like Polycell basecoat instead, which I have used successfully in the past.

18. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

If you finish your filling right you wouldn't see a difference anyway though.

Tishu likes this.
  19. Tishu

Tishu New Member

I would have painted the filled ares first with a watered down coat then when dry a quick sand and coat the full wall twice. I wouldn't have used 123 for this job and definitely not either a medium or long pile roller. Only roller I would use for 123 would be short pile or foam.

20. Chorlton

Chorlton New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

In the end I managed to rescue it by going over the 123 again but this time using an Albany short pile roller.