Burglar Alarm not working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TONITOPSON, Nov 19, 2014.

1. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

Hi Guys,
    I just want to know if somebody could help me with my burglar alarm. Everything seems okay but when I set the alarm, even if I open the door for minutes or hours it won`t go off. I asked my landlord (Housing association) to sort it out but they say I need to do it on my own. Can somebody tell me what the reason could be for the alarm not working ? I checked everything, all lights are okay. Thanks a lot for your support guys.
    TONITOPSON

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi,
    What make and model is the panel?

3. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

Hi there, It`s Veritas R8 Class II
    Cheers
    TONITOPSON

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Is it timed set? , if so I bet there isn't a contact on the door.
    We need more info on detection devices, locations etc before we can reasonably make a judgment call as to how it's set up tbh.

TONITOPSON and FatHands like this.
  5. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

When you open the door, you can hear the chime. the sensors everything`s fine as when you move through rooms, you see them lighting up. I got sensors in the lounge, the kitchen, the landing and each bedroom. They all light up when you move around. But when you set up the alarm, it strarts ticking but don`t set. there supposed to be a beep to show that the alarm is set but when you fully set it, the beeping don`t change to set the alarm. I checked the box but the batteries seem fine .

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Sounds like the exit time is set far too long.

If the front door contact is causing a chime when you enter, it proves the contact is working. If the alarm was programmed as final exit set, the exit time would be killed and the alarm set once the final exit door was closed. Sounds like this is not programmed, and you simple have to wait for the exit time to expire. It could be set at anything. Enter code, press full, leave and shut all doors. Wait to see if sets. Wait a few minutes. Once set, it will be silent.

Could also be a zone constantly open preventing it from setting (including the tamper zone). What LEDs light on the keypad when you arm and leave? Which ones flash and which stay on?

TONITOPSON and FatHands like this.
  7. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

I will have a look and let you know but when I enter the code press full, leave and shut all doors, you can hear the beeping but normally it should go silent, what it is not doing so when I reopen the door, you can still hear the same beeping that precedes the setting.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

sounds like a zone is still active so it won't set, try shutting the door but go back to the keypad and see if any zones are lit, ie active, could be a faulty PIR, I know the PIR LED's are flashing when you walk around, but try it to check.
    Also do a 'walk test' to actually confirm they're operational.

TONITOPSON likes this.
  9. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

I will try all those tomorrow when I am at home and keep you posted. Thanks.

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Is there a door contact, or is it all PIRs?

11. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

what is PIR please ? I am no professional. I know that there are some pads on the doors to activate the chime.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Passive infra-red sensors.

13. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

Okay. I got sensors in all the rooms and they light up when you move in the rooms and they are some pads on the doors that chime when you open the door. But when I activate the alarm, it keeps making a continuous ticking instead of going silent or beeping. So when you open the door, nothing happens.

14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You are closing all the doors that 'chime' when trying to set the alarm?.
    If any of these doors with 'pads'-Contacts-on are open the system will not set as it sees it as an active device.

15. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Are you able to say if alarm was installed by the HA?
    If your neighbours have identical model, you could presume so, and therefore
    they should fix.
    Leaving not working could invalidate your house insurance, as it may be a condition of policy.

TONITOPSON likes this.
  16. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

It was install by a HA but they say they don`t send out electrician to fix burglar alarm as they consider it to be a gift. It is the same model in all houses around.

17. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I'm wondering if this particular alarm needs all doors closed before it will set?
    Perhaps there is a fault with either the wiring to a door contact, or with a door contact itself?

TONITOPSON likes this.
  18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

See post 14 Spin:p

TONITOPSON likes this.
  19. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If you don't already have it, you can download the user manual for your alarm from this web page:

http://www.texe.com/UK/products/series/control-panels/veritas-series/

Page 2 of the Veritas manuals shows you the button presses to enter Walk Test mode. This will allow you to check that each contact and PIR is working. As Rulland said above, just beacuse the PIR LED lights, it doesn't necessarily mean that the signal is getting back to the control panel.

As others have also said, have a look at the LEDs on the keypad once you have set the alarm with all the doors closed including the main entry/exit door.

TONITOPSON likes this.
  20. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON New Member

Thank you I will do the Walk test and keep you posted. I closed all doors and set the alarm but I found out that when all lights went off, one was still on and don`t know how to find what it was linked to. Thanks guys once more.