Burned out socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by surfguy66, Feb 26, 2017.

1. surfguy66

surfguy66 New Member

IMG_20170226_122617745.jpg IMG_20170226_122726886.jpg IMG_20170226_122806758.jpg IMG_20170226_122835819.jpg Hi
    was at my Dads today and showed me a double socket that was badly burned out on one socket ... the fridge is usually plugged into this one via a short extension lead with 4 sockets on it .. the plug to this was also burned.
    I hopefully will upload some photos here to look at .. any ideas why this may have happened and does the wiring look ok ? was wondering if the free Earth connection should have been connected somehow

thanks for any help in advance

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Poor contact there.

The terminal screw was almost certainly loose leading to high impedance and heat

surfguy66 and KIAB like this.
  3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Yes but could have been just a loose fit between the pin and the socket.
    This is exactly the problem as described by John Ward;-

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Was this a cheap "poundland" extension by any chance? They really are the worst quality things.

5. surfguy66

surfguy66 New Member

So was the problem the plug or the Socket ?
    and Thank you for your help

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  6. PaulBlackpool

As they are both well and truly knackered it doesn't really matter.:)

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Could be either.

A loose screw or connection in the plug top or loose contacts in the socket; either could cause it.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

+ cheapo sockets?????

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No, its nothing to do with the quality of the socket, correct reason already given by Bianco. If was socket quality we would all be in trouble. They only burn out due to bodged terminations. I would say loose plug wiring was the cause, not the temination of the socket. Thats why the plug is burnt out.

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It is possible that the screw in the plug was loose, however looking at the socket I suspect that crack has played a part. In my opinion the crack has allowed the contact pressure between the pin and the socket to drop. This would allow the pin and its connection in the socket to heat up. The heat will weaken the copper in the socket allowing the connection to get progressively worse and hotter. The heat seems to be localised to that area rather than the plug. Had it been a loose connection in the plug I would expect to see more discolouration of the plug itself.

I would be interested to see a photo pf the inside of the plug.

Kind regards

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

John Ward! Nice to see someone else who watches him.

I would like to add, although it can't be blamed on the quality of the socket, I do see more of these issues with lower quality accessories.

Regards the second earth terminal. That is for high integrity earthing.

tore81 likes this.
  12. surfguy66

surfguy66 New Member

Thank you for all you comments its been very helpful in understanding what had happened and will make sure we refit with a good quality socket and make sure all connections are secure
    Thank you

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You cannot blame quality of socket. There are millions of lower quality sockets used every day but they don't all burn out. That's the point I am making. The only problem caused of this nature is down to poorly terminated wiring. If the plug was left in permanently and it was the harbour of the loose wire it would heat up and cause the damage to the socket which from the photo appears to have been the case. There is no damage to the rear of the socket only the front which points to definitely the plug causing the heat.

14. Bazza-spark

The quality of the socket isn't in question as far as I am concerned. It is the damage to the socket. I have seen this before with cracked sockets and the contact pressure drops so the pin isn't held properly.

If you study the photos you can see that the heat appears to have been generated at the point of contact between the pin and the socket, this indicates a poor connection between the two.

Kind regards

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I view it differently. The heat build up over time caused by the loose termination on the plug pin has caused the socket to crack and eventually loosen which has ultimately increased heat even more and resulted in the failure. It seems the plug has been left plugged in permanently and never been checked. That damage would have caused serious burning smells as well. Can't see how it has gone that far without the user knowing something wasn't right.

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I agree with UP - IMO, the socket crack has likeyy occurred due to the overheating and not the cause of it. It's neither here nor there though, as both need replacing.

17. Bazza-spark

You may both be right, but my suspicion is the left fixing screw was overtightened which caused the crack (the crack runs both sides of the screw) leading to the burnout. But as you say Lec, either way they both have to be replaced.

UP I agree about the smell it should have created.

Kind regards

18. Electricwill

Electricwill New Member

how come, it's nearly always the neutral that burns out ;)

Lectrician likes this.
  19. PaulBlackpool

Do we know what was plugged into the other three sockets?. I know it could not be washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer unless only one was used at once.;)
    But you get my point?

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I agree with Baz - all caused by pin to receptacle arcing/fizzing - seen it before