Burner issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Darren Taylor, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor New Member

We have an old baxi solo burner. After a few power disruptions it has stopped working. We have reset the pilot light and it is lit ! But it is not igniting the gas. Clicking like it wants to though.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor New Member

KIAB Thank you mate. But I need a very straight forward answer as I know nothing about these things !!! And the fan and everything is working on ours. We will call out a professional to fix it but want to know if it is an easy fix or not !!

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Without getting the case off you cannot be fully sure that the fan is working.
    But assuming that it is, then your problem is at the gas valve. Either it has packed up or the board is not sending it a signal to open.
    A minute or two in front of the boiler with a meter should be able to say which, so not really a hard fix.

Are you sure you want to fix it? Maybe keep it going for a bit longer but start planning for a new boiler soon. It is presumably 20-25 years old, do you drive a car that old?

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

End of the day, he wasting money repairing it.

6. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Sure is! Problem is that the GSR guy will have to put his analyser on it after fixing it and if he finds the flue gasses are out of spec, he will have to turn it off again. So the OP could pay for the fix and still not have a running boiler.
    Best advice is to change it and not spend any more time or money on it, but I do understand that ££ maybe an issue.

7. Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor New Member

Thank you lads !! And yes I do drive a 20 year old car !!! And it runs great !!! We are selling the house this year and don't want to waste money replacing anything when a new owner will probably only rip it out and put in a new combined boiler !!! So only need it to run for a few months.

8. Kevin S Smith

Kevin S Smith New Member