Burnt out connector

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bensn, Feb 13, 2016.

1. bensn

bensn New Member

Hiya

We had a couple of low voltage down lighters stop working - wasn't the bulb so figured that the transformer had given up. When I popped then out then this is what greeted me was in the attached file. They were installed as part of an extension about 4 years ago. I've contacted the installer and he's said via email " 50w lamp over time gets hot and in some cases can cause this. The light fittings come pre tighten and the ones in question may have not been tighten that well. "

I'm not confident of his answer - this is connector is on the low voltage side ....? Suggestions as to whether this is correct and what should happen next?

Tks

2. bensn

bensn New Member

Cant see that the photo has attached do I've dropboxed it here [​IMG]

3. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I had a lamp melt my over cabinet arms. The connections on them are ****, it over heats melts the fitting then blows the lamp

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

No pic? Try again.

If it's the lamp holder that has failed, and the fittings are enclosed fire rated types, you should be using "heat forward" aluminium reflector lamps, not dichroic lamps, which throw all the heat rewards.

Well known problem. Carry a few lamp holders in the van as a matter of course.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's very very common for the 12volt lamp connectors to burn out, better to replace the lamps with GU10 led's. Take the transformers out of circuit and connect the mains feed directly to the lamps.

6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

best bet replace the fittings and go for leds (just be sure to match your leds to your set up transformer and dimmers should be taken into account) bish bash bosh no more overheating.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Use mains LED GU10's, don't mess about with drivers.

8. Lectrician

12v LEDs are pants. They rarely work correctly with SELV electronic lighting transformers, designed more so for wire wound transformers.

While I agree LED is the way to go, there is nothing wrong with spending less than a pound to fix the current problem.

9. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

thats ok but how many £ would you waste fixing the same issue over and over again before you could of bought an led buld (and if needed an led driver or coverted the lot to gu10 and led where sutaible). ?

10. Lectrician

If it's the first failure, and he uses the correct lamps, he is not going to save anything by going LED in the medium term. It really also depends how many fittings are in the room, as swapping just one would look pants.

11. Hi Ben.

Can't see your photo - try again but keep it under 2 Meg.

Anyhoo, if it's the actual electrical contacts wot cause the problem - ie corrosion/oxidation between the lamps' pins and the lampholder contacts - then refit all the other bulbs adding a smear of 'coppergrease' to the pins.

If that lampholder is knack'ed, then it'll obviously need replacing first - either way, add that smear.

I've seen this problem happen with these lamps, and in the cases I looked at the issue was down to a high resistance forming betwixt the bulb and holder's connections. I don't know if the heat contributes to this first, perhaps causing tarnishing which leads to a bad connection, but then it goes all 'high-resistance' and starts to 'burn' around the contact.

Might also be due to moisture in the kitchen's air being drawn up through the lampholders to the loft?

madhatter1uk likes this.
  12. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

It also happens a lot on halogen patio heater lamps. The contact overheats and burns out , then I end up changing the contacts , which isn't always possible