Burnt out immersion cables and toilet filling very slow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NoviceMan, Aug 25, 2016.

1. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Hi Guys

Please go easy but I need some confirmation on 2 things

1. The toilet takes 30 mins to refill concealed cistern with top access. Apparently the fill valve is no longer available so my plumber wants to replace all internals as he says the recommended replacement doesn't fit the rest of the internals. Curious how much this would cost ball park only I got quoted 105 is it really this expensive

2. The cables on immersion at thermostat have through time burnt out I'm told so need new heat resistant cables 92 pounds again really this much ?

I honestly don't mind paying but it seems straight forward jobs which have relatively low material costs so would love so second opinions

Many thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need some photo's of both things.

Terminals burnt, most likely loose connections, & £92 for cable, rip off:eek:, 2.5mm 3093Y about £2 per metre.

Should be able to sort cistern, once we have a photo to confirm the part.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Many thanks the 92 cover labour and material to include trace out fault of no hot water and replace burnt out cables. The fault finding took minutes.

With cistern I can't get photo for a week now as away from home but will upload.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

It's not clear whether or not this is two different tradesmen, i.e. a plumber and an electrican...

If it is then is doesn't seem outrageous, as there are, in effect, 2 call out charges.

If its' the same person doing both jobs, at the same time, then the overall cost does seem a bit steep to mBut I'm only DIY, not trade, so I don't really know.

You do need to clarify whether it's one person or two, to get the pros on here to offer a better opinion.

Regards,

Cando

5. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Defo one certified plumber who is offering a 5 year guarantee on the replaced parts