Burnt plaster on fire brest

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diyspark, Aug 26, 2016.

1. diyspark

diyspark New Member

due to a wrongly fitted liner on a wood burning stove, I have an upstairs bedroom that has burnt smell coming fro the plaster on the chimney Brest. I have removed all plaster down to the brick work with a view to drywalling it. My question is is there anything I should/ could do to the brick work to get rid of the smell?. A Cleaner or sealer?.... (New wood burning stove and new liner being fitted downstairs by professional) thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would brush wall with a SBR/Cement slurry mixed 1:1 Cement/SBR,allow to dry 24 hours, then brush on another coat allowing it to go tacky, then a coat of cement render 1 part cement to 5 parts sand with SBR in the mix, this will seal the wall.
    Trying to work out how much SBR to use, usually it's around 5lts to 25kg cement & you reduce water accordingly.

When making slurry, adding cement to liquid, you get fewer lumps in mix, to get a creamy mix.

3. diyspark

diyspark New Member

Thanks for your detailed reply.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As it is internal, you could reduce the SBR down in the render scratch coat to a litre or so, give it a week to dry, then skim with thistle multi finish.