Burying Copper Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by REDLED, Sep 8, 2005.

1. REDLED

REDLED New Member

I am moving two radiators in a house with solid floors and am not sure if any protection must be wrapped around the new copper pipes when buried in the screed - Any advice please.

2. Jiv

Jiv New Member

When I did a renovation, the plumber recommended boxing the pipe in so it's not covered in screed just in case you need access in the future. I used odd bits of treated timber and plywood.

Alternatively, for short straight runs, some sort of poly pipe could be used. Just as long as the pipe can be pulled out if necessary.

3. rlshogun

rlshogun New Member

Hep20 do a plastic barrier pipe with a sheath, designed for burying

4. Do not allow copper & concrete/screen to touch each other... very bad mix! is best to make up a boxing!

5. mj

mj Guest

PVC coated copper tube, is what your after if it has to be copper & screeded in. Though floor trunking with removable top is a better option.

6. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Yeah, Hep20 pipe in pipe system will do the job but you still need to install access traps at each joint. The idea is so that the complete length of pipe and any fittings can be replaced/fixed should a problem occur.

Of course if I was burying copper in my own home then I wouldn't bother with all this access trunking malarky, I would just wrap it in denso tape and forget about it.

7. taydo

taydo New Member

Denso Tape is great but you end up stuck to everything you touch for the next week. put it on with gloves I hear you say huh the gloves keep getting stuck to the pipe.
    no im glad they invented pipe in pipe.

8. Scousemouse

Scousemouse New Member

There's a real need toallow the pipe to move, as well as protecting it. Plastic moves a lot when it's heated. If you stop it, it'll strain the joints. Denso'd copper heating pipes <u>definitely</u> pull soldered tees apart, just what you want under screed!

See bes.lt.uk item 16538. Dead neat and quick.

9. Scousemouse

Scousemouse New Member

sorry bes.ltd.uk

10. slug

slug New Member

Instead of using copper why not try this
    http://www.tracpipe.com/
    A US product, but now available over here, flexible corrugated stainless steel with outer sheath. It's being used more and more.

11. not sure on long term effects of stainless steel on Central Heating systems... remember the stainless steel used in the 70s, which is now corroding through at joints, & falling apart.

12. Evilobiwan

Evilobiwan New Member

I'm going to bury a cold water supply pipe for my shower in a wall. Denso or sheathed pipe? Will the denso pull apart solder ring elbows?