butt-joining solid wood worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by JonnB, Sep 23, 2015.

1. JonnB

JonnB New Member

I'm in the process of installing my Ikea kitchen and was wondering if anyonce could offer advice on 2 questions I have. (the worktops are 38mm solid wood).

1. At one end, the worktop meets a tall unit housing the oven. Immediately under the worktop, next to the tall unit I plan to leave a space for a dishwasher. Just wondered what is the best way of securing the worktop at this end, where it won't be supported by a unit. (My idea is to simply drive some screws into the worktop from inside the tall unit)...

2. I have a long, straight run of worktop which will involve a butt-joint (as lengths this long are not available).
    Should this joint be made at the point where two carcasses also meet, or can it be made in the middle of a unit?

I'm just planning on hiring a jig and 1/2" router for the day to rout out for the joining clamps. From what I've read, a lot of people don't consider biscuits neccessary so I'm not currently planning to put them in...

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your idea will probably work but stretcher plates are usually used, butt jointing worktops isn't ideal and you would need to seal the joint but glueing and screwing a cleat underneath would be fine if you cant do it on a join.

3. JonnB

JonnB New Member

Thanks a lot Chippie... I'll have a go at it.

4. And screwing into the end from inside the tall housing is fine, and means there won't be anything underneath to get in the way.

I'd pilot drill holes in the top, tho', to remove any risk of splitting.

4 screws at least? Driven in slightly below halfway down - in case some twit stands on the top...

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes stretcher plates or similar brackets they won't be seen and shouldn't catch the dishwasher. Remember to add extra orktop sealer underneath the worktop where the dishwasher is going to preferably before you fit it/ There will be a lot a moisture / heat coming out of the dishwasher which isn't good for a wooded work top. Some dishwasher come with a heat / water guard remember to fit it

There are many ways to join the two work tops.

As you mention you could use worktop clamps like these available from screwfix. You will need to be careful cutting and setting them and will need the worktop template you mentioned
    [​IMG]

Another menthod is to use a spline joint like this, which is simple to do. Unlike the picture don't run the grove to the front edge of the work top. You just have to make sure when you assemble it there is pressure from the ends towards the joint.

[​IMG]

6. JonnB

JonnB New Member

Thanks a lot for the replies and advice. I'm going to get it done this weekend. Will bear in mind sealing properly, especially around the dishwahsher area...

7. Antek

Antek New Member

1 I always use stainless steel angle, 40 x 40 mm.
    2 I would strongly recommend biscuits. If your joint will be in the middle of the unit, using biscuits you add a lot of strength.
    You don't need any jigs and router to prepare worktop for clamping. I always drill holes with 35 mm hinge cutter and then I use chisel to make channel. And every time I'm dead accurate. Simple, no noise, no dust!

8. JonnB

JonnB New Member

Thanks Antek. I've already joined them using the clamps but haven't fixed it permanently yet, so I may well try your method of adding biscuits for extra strength.