buttoned collar and tie,

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tom.plum, Nov 1, 2014.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

been to a function today and a collar and tie was required, boy am i glad to get out of those fancy dudes, I'm glad my job dos't require me to wear a collar and tie, I just could't wear them, all i ever wear is tee shirts n' work pants, underneath there's underpants and socks, i have a padded shirt and bob cap for cold mornings but usually they come off after 10 mins work time,
    When i first started work in the .60's the tradesmen wore long sleaved shirts and ties and brace n'bib overalls , but they never did much work cos they had apprentices and labourers under them, in todays times I'm the tradesman.labourer,driver,parts buyer,job surveyor,estimator,invoicer,customer service advisor,remedial person,consultant,company administations executive and transport manager, I do all these jobs in tee shirt and workpants,

who invented ties and why?:confused:

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I always wear a nice shirt and tie to Church and other special occasions.
    It just shows you've made an effort. So many men dress very shoddy these days.

Seems quite a few cannot even wear their shirt inside their trousers because they have big fat flabby stomachs to hide.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I like shoddy I fill at home wearing shoddy,most tradesmen hate wearing shirt and ties as it feels alien to them,or is that just me.
    Ohh and Tom obviously.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I only wear a tie for weddings, christenings, funerals and interviews these days. Otherwise it's smart casual most of the time. ;);)

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Cool Dude.:cool:

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I feel sorry for people like teachers, policemen,polititians, local gov't workers, its not natural to walk about wit a uncomfortable noose round yer neck,

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Dunno Tomp,,, Albert Pierrepoint, quite liked people with nooses round their necks. ;););)

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got a suit hanging in the wardrobe & my black tie is draped around the hanger. Funerals are the only time when I wear either . Unfortunately this becomes more frequent as I get older. :( Normal wear is polo shirt & jeans. :)

9. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

After so many years of getting up and putting on the same things, black polo, dewalt trousers, grey hoodie and work boots I'm lost when it comes to non work clothes. Are flares and barrington jackets still in?

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I live and die in tee shirts and sweatshirts but I cannot wear a normal shirt without a tie!
    Just seems so wrong I think the likes of Clegg, Cameron and "what's his name" look really scruffy trying to get down with the people in their suit and shirt with no tie!

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah, but don't they all look like fish out of water when they wear a high-viz. :D

12. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I had a boss from America who said we're going to have "dress down Fridays" but the dept heads can decide. I said "no" to my people. Lowering dress standards lowers work quality, but I can accept that non- customer facing jobs don't need good dress standards.
    As for Cleggy and Cameron, it's clear that they're just trying to be trendy. It's nothing less than scruffy to wear a suit and no tie.
    You're right Malkie, they do look out of place in hard hats and high-viz. But in any case the over use of hard hats and high-viz in the wrong setting is plain daft, I saw some ramblers last weekend in hard hats and high-viz jackets, what plonkers.

13. bethstevens

bethstevens New Member

The humble tie has its roots back in the Roman times but the tie as we know it today came around the time of the industrial revolution. People wanted something to wear around their necks that wasnt as intrusive as a tradition cravat. Some bright spark came up with the design that many men still wear every day!