Buy or Rent?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Apr 27, 2017.

1. What sort of places are available for the sort of money you hope to end up with? (Not asking about actual sums of money involved, but chust what you could expect to get for it)

And will you have any spare cash left over for contingencies - 'cos there will be some?

Be prepared to widen the area you are looking at - public transport (if you don't have your own) is usually surprisingly good. So consider quality of life like being more rural than urbane. (See what I did there? Tho' it doesn't make much sense...:oops:)

2. Keep you eye out for other types of jobs too, Kools.

What are your skills? You are pretty handy - tho' your back is giving you jib. What about IT skills - how far do these extend?

Be prepared to get trained up if the right job comes along. Getting a job you actually enjoy is gonna be a biggie.

3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

In your circumstances I would definitely rent for a while. You will have been tied down by a marriage. The last thing you need IMHO is to be tied down by a possible mortgage or a possible bad tenant or indeed by a property that will inevitability want something doing to it. Keep your life as simple as possible. The more complicated it is the more stress there is. Remember the island surrounded by ducks.
    Stick you spare cash in something safe like Premium Bonds. I think the current maximum is £50000. Don't blow a lot of it on a sports car like I did.;)

Joe95, Deleted member 33931 and CGN like this.
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I should be able to buy a 2 bed terrace or even semi bungalow, mortgage free. I am aiming to have say £10k spare for contingencies. Looking for a place that does not need much work doing.

I have built tons of PC's, too many to count over the years and have a good knowledge of PC building and internet.

I am loving my new jos but it is very hard work indeed and i have to wait several weeks to see if it turns out to be permanent.

Hopefully divorce will go smoothly now. Got to wait for Courts now to say if there are legit grounds for divorce. My solicitor seems to think definitely yes!

Wife has been on the net looking for an abode too. Just about to put ours on the market in the next couple of weeks.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Sounds like a plan.

6. If there is little difference in purchase cost betwixt a neat house and a tatty one, then fair do's.

But if there are genuine savings to be made - one that could allow you to stretch to a 3-bed or even a fully-detached place - then I would strongly suggest you consider this.

You have the skills. It will focus your mind. And you will reap the rewards - both financial and in confidence.

Almost certain.

I'd say even consider auctions - not many people are in your position with ready cash. Start attending, get a feel for what's going on, look at the forth-coming catalogues, do your homework on the potentially suitable properties coming up, work out what a significant saving would be - and then attend and watch. And watch. And watch.

I'd guard against bidding for the first few visits - you need to settle in to how it works.

But if you can save - what? - £40k? £50k? more? - doing this, then - well - you know...

KIAB likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks guys.

Aches and pains of new job! Think i have whats called 'Golfers Elbow' now!! Ruddy painful too! lol

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

or Bachelor's forearm.

Deleted member 33931 and koolpc like this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No, rather the real thing mate

10. Wouldn't we all.

(Did I say that out loud...? :oops:)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. chirchri

chirchri New Member

no no no problem , buy.. trust meo_O

12. Yeah, I trust you.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Auctions can be very rewarding,but some peeps find auctions intimidating at first, but you soon get use to it.
    Agree with DA do your homework on suitalbe properties, & don't rush to buy on your first visit or two.

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The key to buying a place is knowing exactly what you need/want, the compromises you are willing to make (and not) and how much you're prepared to pay. And of course, the balance of requirements and cost needs to be attainable.

I do laugh watching Location3 when people have these enormous set of requirements and won't compromise on anything. It usually comes down to the fact that they don't know what they need and want.

15. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Would buy fella.

Landlords can be a nightmare.

Get yourself back on the housing ladder.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Went to a few auctions, just to see how it works.

Most require completion within 28 days so need to get a solicitor lined up, they should have a legal pack available before auction.

Also 10% deposit is needed on the night.

There have been a few good lots, but never had the money upfront as well as getting funds for the renovation side of it.

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  17. Windywillow

Windywillow New Member

There is a saying that I have become very fond of over the years.

"If in doubt, do noubt".

It will stand you in good stead!

Now is not the time to be making large or rash decisions. Just have a breather for a short while & get yourself together. You don't have to build a new Kingdom overnight!
    I've read a bit of what's going on, not all admittedly, (I lost the will to live several months ago) & you do have my sympathy but it's time to accept the situation & think about your future in something other than monetary terms.
    Get your head sorted & live simply before you start jumping feet first into any type of property be that rented or bought.
    Think about what you really want your future to look like & take the time to look outside the box. Sometimes we get so bogged down with surviving that we forget how to fight for what we truly want.
    Life is yours for the taking, regardless of what has gone before.
    Dig deep & good luck x

18. Windywillow

Windywillow New Member

What the ???? No. Just no. That is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard you come out with Dev & trust me I've heard a few.
    This man is in no position emotionally or mentally to be going down this route.
    Can you seriously imagine him at this stage capable of conducting a rigorous vetting of all the great unwashed? Not to mention the trying to rid them after "2 weeks" :eek:
    Did you cough when you wrote this? :D I bet you did.

19. Fair do's, Windy.

It was very much an 'even consider...' option - something to think about as well as everything else.

But, yes, the least welcome of all the options.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Problem i got is finding the right place in a short space of time. Obviously dont want to buy on impulse. Money is a worry.