Buying a house with potential roof issue

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Beatjunkie, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Beatjunkie

Beatjunkie New Member

So basically had an offer accepted on a house and went for a second viewing today to measure up and check out the roof. The house is a 1930's semi in Bristol, standard brick built with a cavity etc.

Ive attached some photos, its looks very much like charcoal on the timbers but did not smell and just flaked off the timber but they still looked square edged! Could the black coating be a dried out preservative? Anyone got any ideas?

The purlins look more recent as the timber is different and the mortar around the brickwork is different, from the photos it does look like fire damage but ill let you people have a look!

Cheers Ryan

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes, it does look like fire damage, you should be able to check records to see if there was a fire at that address in the past.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Pretty sure if you put a bit of similar timber in a fire, then put it out with water, it will look the same as that, so......

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Deffo fire damage.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and it looks like that chimney breast has been cemented/rendered AFTER the effect.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The roofing felt looks old though so the fire must have been a while ago, when did breathable membrane start being used?

7. Beatjunkie

Beatjunkie New Member

The felt didn't have any damage and looks as if its 30+ years old, some of the rafters were almost charcoal but this just flaked off and the timber beneath looked fine others looked as if they had been treated with something.

Phil the paver - Where would i be able to find fire records?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fire service might still have records, or Bristol county record office,should have old newspapers, long time since I been in Bristol record office, so not sure how you can search them now.

https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/bristol-record-office/
    records may be at
    Also no idea where you are in Bristol, but there have been boundary changes,sosome records maybe at Gloucestershire Archives Office.

Also Western Daily Press paper.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1950-01-01/1999-12-31?newspaperTitle=Western Daily Press

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive....rtitle=western daily press&sortorder=dayearly

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    FatHands and Phil the Paver like this.
  9. Beatjunkie

Beatjunkie New Member

Great, ill check it out!

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If the fire service haven't got copies of old records, the local library might have news paper stories on file.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not sure what Bristol Archives have available on the Western Daily Press, a bit out of touch with Bristol.

I would start at 1980 onwards looking at the felt.

12. That black coating is dried out preservative.

Only joking - you're on FIRE man :).

As pointed out above, tho', it was clearly a fair time ago and the timbers have barely been affected. That felt has been replaced, and that must have involved removing all the tiles/slates. They wouldn't have gorn to that trouble if the timbers were weak.

So, almost certainly there isn't a structural issue here, but an SE or even a decent chippie should be able to put your mind at rest.

The timbers look straight? There is no visible sagging noticeable from the outside?

If you are paranoid, you could always have additional timbers stitched/sistered on the the sides of the existing ones.

But, I doubt very much it's necessary.

13. 123Rowen

123Rowen New Member

Good luck in looking for fire records. You will spend more effort on it than on looking for more pespective offer.

Anyway this damages don't look so old and heavy. So if the fire service will dont have any clues about in my opinion you should give up.

14. Yep, I'd be very surprised if you could find any records of this - it must have been many years ago.

And what good would it do anyway? You know there was a fire. You can see the light damage as a result. You can tell the roof's been recovered.

(Any chance of a photo of the outside?)

Looks like a cracking issue to negotiate a discount on, tho'... :rolleyes:

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Once you get charing on the wood, it will protect the unburnt wood underneath for a while.
    Though the ridge board is one area that I would thoughly check.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  16. Doing sis's wall opening recently, I was totally surprised that a timber lintel required only a single layer of p'board to protect it from fire but a steel would have needed intumescent paint and a double-layer.

Blimey.

As you say, the charred surface does a cracking job of protecting the inner timber.

17. Beatjunkie

Beatjunkie New Member

The timbers looked generally straight, I have attached a couple more pictures we need it inspected correctly, what would you guys recommend? Full survey and or builder?

Sellers are aware that the roof is charred and they bought the house in this condition, i just want to know if its safe and if how much would it cost to put right and if there is any other damage we cannot see!

Attached Files:

18. Beatjunkie

Beatjunkie New Member

Another photo from the rear, its the property on the right obviously...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Timber does that, the outside carbonises and protects the inner.
    It's lasted

KIAB likes this.
  20. Beatjunkie

Beatjunkie New Member

Thing is does it all need replacing?! As thats going to cost quite a lot of cash I would have thought