Buying a mitre saw

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Kathy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I rather pay the extra for the Bosch GCM8SJL, can be found for around £260ish if you hunt, plus you have a 3 year warranty.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No experience of those, I had a quick look on the web and a video. Looks quite good

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a look at Makita, decided Bosch was better, plus I like the carrying handle.
    Used with Freud 64 tooth blades, you get a lovely fine cut.

Several video's on You Tube for the Bosch.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Alot of Makita tools are now made in China.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And some are of very poor quality. Two years ago, I bought an MLT100 table saw with one of those folding trolleys. The quality was absolutely dreadful, six came and went before I eventually gave up and got a refund. I think the quality issues are mainly on the larger tools rather than on the hand held battery units

KIAB likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have quite a lot of Makita tools.

This is where the tools are made:

• 110V 2kg SDS dril = PRC (China)
    • Cordless brush-less Drill driver and impact wrench = Japan (Drill driver burned out with 6 months use - non trade)
    • Cordless SDS drill = Japan
    • Recip Saw = China
    • 9" grinder (soft start) = Romania - (paid extra for the soft start and came with no case) :(

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Before I bought the Bosch, I did looked at Makita LS1018, poor castings,some movement when sliding head across, this might have been due to it been a display model, but it didn't inspire confidence.
    The quailty has dropped in my opinion compared to my old Makita mitre saw.

But, I do have two Makita grinders both have soft start a 9" & a 5" with a back handle, which is uncommon on a grinder of that size, but very, very handy.
    Both were made in Japan, both have had a hard life, especially the 9" but they they have been superb, can't fault them.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For me Makita are way behind at present. Bosch turn out some good stuff but equally some appalling quality kit. For me Dewalt and Milwaukee are the two front runners at present for bang for your buck!

Metabo have a few nice bits. Lots of Festool is great but very overpriced. Hitachi had some nice tools at a recent Toolfair.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never been a fan of Dewalt, but Milwaukee cordless drills look superb, especially the M18 brushless range, I need a new cordless, as my Bosch, the batteries are on their last legs, not bad for around 10 years use though.:eek:

http://www.powertools-direct.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=2672114

Festool nice kit, but is beyond my budget:(, as for Hitachi they make some good tools,had one of their 12" circular saw, that thing was indestructable, also got a 9" grinder,has soft start,seems it will go on for ever.
    But, Hitachi cordless drills don't impress me, & their mitre saws need a major revamp, just look at their C8FSE 216mm model, the equivalent Bosch GCM8SJL blows it out of the water.

10. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Mine is the Evolution Rage 3, and it is the best smooth mitre saw I have had. Would recommend.

11. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I would strongly recommend mitre both ways. You can't always flip the wood over and expect it to sit flat e.g mouldings, covings etc.
    Portability is a good idea. I find lifting my heavy sliding Makita saw rather back-breaking when I move it from garage to garden. Working indoors is unhealthy and dusty.
    Don't buy cheap ones like Aldi, Blackspur, B&Q etc. For some reason they run out of angle and cut incorrectly very quickly. My cheap chop saws now gather dust and rust. Makita has no rust and still accurate after 15 years of use. It payed for itself many times over. A mitre saw is essential for wood working - get a good one. Dewalt/Makita/Bosch are still good value. (Oh and Festool if you drive to site in a Ferrari as your work van!)

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I've got a Bosch. And fell for the classic!

Went for the cheaper model. You need one that bevels and slides. Just a Mistake I made. Like others have said with cheaper makes etc. if the cut is out! It's as useful as a chocolate hammer.

13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

My Evolution Rage 3 bevels only to the left, but slide length is more than 30 cm, which is great. So far I have not been needing bevel cuts, but cutting 90 degrees most time, so it is fine.