Buying a new Multi Function Test Meter

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ding, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Ding

Ding Member

Just after some advice. I am looking to buy a new meter having never owned one personally. I've used a few Megger ones over the years and am looking at the 1730 or 1735. Just wondered if anyone is using either and which one to buy. Or should I just but an older model and get it re-callibrated.

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

It depends how much you have to spend,I prefer a new meter as I know how it's been treated,but a new megger can be expensive.Have you considered Metrel? I've had 2 and they are quite good,just a lot of people don't seem to rate them for some reason.I've had 2 ex demonstrators,they were only shown to people,never lent out and the first one still had all the packing with it.It only cost me £300 with full warranty and calibration and all the software,I sold it to a mate as he was stuck and I was off work long term so didn't need it.The second one only cost me £100,ok it wasn't the top of the range one but it was new and it's been fine.

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

FatHands and philthespark like this.
  4. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I wonder where he is Bazza? I could put him in touch with the guy that does the ex demo stuff.

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Maybe all the concentration and decision making has fried his brain lol :confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I've had a Fluke 1651 for years now and it's not let me down. Beware though the croc-clips are next to useless but I just don't use for anything other than IR tests. I also recommend investing in a proper test lead, one with the test button on the tip of it, so you don't need three hands to press the test button.

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yeah definitely. when you are hanging off a ladder doing a Zs test on a ceiling rose you want to get down as soon as possible and the trigger button on the test probe helps with balance

8. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

I have had a Megger 1412 [?] for the last 6 years, its been brilliant.

9. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Some testers for reasons I can't fathom make you press a button to do simple tests like resistance tests. The merger you just apply probes and correct setting. My mates you have to put the probes on or faff around with clips so you have a free hand to press test button...