Buying a new Router

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Hi All

I am thinking of buying a new router. This is my first router (being a newbie), and it will be for general use in the house and also making some furnitures with wood. Could you recommend one which is simple, durable and good price? Thanks.

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

DeWALT DW625EK Router. About £240 quid inc VAT.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Ticks all the boxes for what you want.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Superb router.:)

Ryluer likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Bullet proof :)

6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Thank you for the recommendation. I had seen someone working with this router on youtube, and thought it seems working well. My impression on the router was it looked like a good router but only concern was changing the bits might be a bit fiddly? inserting the bit into the collet, then hand tighten it, and then further tightening with a spanner?

This router seems have more simpler and quicker way to change the bits.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-TRA0...sim_60_18?ie=UTF8&refRID=02WJZ464WCMBGKDNM2Q8

I wonder what your thoughts are on that router.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I find it easy to change cutters.
    That triton looks like its been designed by a toy designer.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have the Dewalt 621K (1/4"). Router brought when I first started out in woodwork.

I find that the 1/2" routers are used mainly for worktops or heavy duty use as they are a lot heavier.

I had the Trend T10 which is the same as the DW625, but sold it as it was a 110V version which required a large transformer to operate.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Apart from Festool who have their own system obviously every router I have used uses a collet that you hand tighten and then nip up with a spanner, it's much like tightening a nut. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Unless your your doing serious heavy work, you could possibly get away with a router with a 8mm collect.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The De Walt 625 will last you for life no matter what you chuck at it and if you use it inverted in a table the on switch locks so you don't have to cable tie it down.
    You can save some money buying cheap routers but you will only buy one 625.

KIAB likes this.
  12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

To hell with Erbauer, if your going to spend £200 or so, then buy a quailty brand.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cheap Chinese rubbish with no spares back up.
    Every carpentry workshop I have ever worked in, and there have been a lot, uses the 625, or its earlier Elu version as its workhorse router because it's so tough, simple and accurate.
    You will probably need to buy a cheap 1/4" router for small mouldings but no tool can do everything.

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a Bosch GKF600 ¼" 600W brilliant little palm router, it's great for the finer small detail jobs, etc.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gkf-600-palm-router-kit

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Basically you can buy high quality in the £400 - £800 quid range in festool or mafell.

Then you have mid range pricing with bosch, dewalt, Makita, metabo, milwaukee etc and then you have cheap tat at £100 quid or below.
    You didn't mention cheap tat in your opening post.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I some how lost a paragraph from my post Chips:oops:, I would have a 625 for the main work & compliment it with the little Bosch for the small detail jobs.:)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Perfect.

20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Ended up getting a new DeWalt 625. A superb piece of kit. Thanks for all your input.