Buying advice for a new sander for wooden floors, tabletops etc

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by SpaceTufty, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SpaceTufty

SpaceTufty New Member

Hi I,m looking for advice on buying a good all round wood sander for various DIY jobs (I've not owned one before). The immediate need is to sand the top of a floor (2x3m) made out of engineered wood planks. Then I have a couple of solid wood table tops. As ever the choice is bewildering, so any guidance would be gratefully received. I have a Bosch blue power drill/driver and I understand you can get sanding attachments for it, but I wonder whether it's just best getting a dedicated tool? I don't mind paying for quality so that it lasts, although I won't be using it everyday. Many thanks! Sean

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better to hire a floor sander for a day or weekend, a lot easier for the floor area you have to sand,probably getaway with using a P100, P120 floor sanding sheet.
    Some hire shops will do a combine hire rate for a floor sand & edge sander, & an independent hire place might give you a better hire rate, than the big name hire places.

Bosch Green sanders are very good.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Joe95 likes this.
  3. SpaceTufty

SpaceTufty New Member

Thanks KIAB, I'll look into the hire option then. That said if I buy a Bosch sander for other jobs which type would you recommend? ROS, Belt etc?

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Yes they are, I have a Bosch Green sheet sander that's still going after at least 20 years. Used to get trade use for the first 5 years I had it.

Sheet sanders and random orbit sanders are the most versatile.
    Defiantly hire a floor sander for what you want to do. £50 and a good productive day will see it done.

SpaceTufty and koolpc like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    SpaceTufty likes this.
  6. SpaceTufty

SpaceTufty New Member

Thanks all!

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

take care with "solid wood table tops". They might not be. Sometimes very difficult to see if a tabletop is veneered, and an agressive sander can go through veneer very quickly. As others have said, you need different sanders for a floor and lighter jobs.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When looking for a sander look for one which will hook up an extraction system. Out host sell one from £49.99, it will make a difference to the work and also to the house and a good habit to get into