Buying and fitting a new bathroom

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by geek84, Mar 15, 2014.

1. geek84

geek84 New Member

Hi Folks

I am thinking of having my old bathroom replaced with a new one. I want my bath, shower, toilet, wash basin, and wall tiles to be replaced.

Would it be a good idea to get a bathroom fitter to buy all the above items and fit them himself or shall I buy the stuff myself and get the fitter to fit the items? The first option certainly seems a lot easier, but I don’t want to pay huge prices and get ripped off by the fitter!!

If I decide to take the 2nd option, then how do I go about measuring the bath, shower, toilet, and wash basin? What things would I need to consider when deciding on the items to buy?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The bathroom fitter will have a better idea of what is good value and also if there is a problem with something he supplies it is up to him to fix it, if you buy it it is your problem.

3. Geek - as Chippie says.

Much better for your sanity to let the guy sort it all. Bear in mind that YOU will be choosing the suite so you will know how much it costs; he ain't gonna give you a 'budget' suite and charge you 'luxury' prices...

He will tho' (and it's fair that he should) make a small amount on the purchase of the suite since he will be given a discount that you simply wouldn't. But that's not just money in the guy's pocket - it's a kind of 'cover' for him should he have to come back and sort out anything on your suite afterwards.

Say your loo starts to leak and it turns out to be a faulty moulding. Who is going to fix that?! If you bought the suite - you would have to pay for it to be replaced - and the extra labour. If the fitter did everything, then that poor guy will have to sort it - and then try and claim for his time from the supplier (good luck to him...:()

So, don't begrudge the few squid he may make from buying the suite for you.

4. geek84

geek84 New Member

Hi Folks

Thanks for your replies.

5. geek84

geek84 New Member

Any more thoughts greatly appreciated.

6. I think I'm wonderful.

7. geek84

geek84 New Member

So do I !!!!!

8. :rolleyes: (In lieu of a 'lurv' smiley...)

9. geek84

geek84 New Member

Ha! Ha!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What about me :O(

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

speaking from a plumbers point of view, If I was asked to buy the suite the price I would charge double the price that of i just fitted it, there are so many pitfalls to catch you out,
    faulty goods, bit missing,thats not the one I ordered,it does flush as good as my old one,there's a funny noise coming from the plug hole, the floors wet when I open the shower door,the basin has a tiny mark in that i've only just noticed, the chrome on the taps's not as chromey as the towel rail,
    plus I'd have to be there for delivery, it may be on their property for days/weeks before fitting and could be damaged there, and you can bet your bottom dollar they would say, It must have come that way,

NO SIR, the choosing, buying,delivering,inspection before installation is better done by the customer,

12. Blimey - I'm surprised at that, Mr Plum. I totally misread what I thought pros wanted.

Geek - he's the pro, not me.

I think I'm not so wonderful any more... :oops:

13. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

id say you get the sanitary and extras but your plumber supplys all pipe and fittings. Dont fall into the bathroom fitter trap. You want a good plumber who can tile well or a good plumber who knows a good tiler. If speedfit pipe is mentioned run and dont look back. If you have somebody who says he only touches bathrooms make sure you get some references.

14. plane-it

plane-it Member

"If speedfit pipe is mentioned run and dont look back".... More details please itchy?

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I think itchie is refereing to the 'bathroom fitters' , a band of wondering workmen with transit vans sign written for example ,,,
    bathroom fitter,kitchen fitter,bedroom fitter,tree feller,rubbish clearer,painter, gutter cleaner,drive tarmacer,low rates,cash payment all work quarranteed for at least till you pay,

16. Ted Leger

Ted Leger New Member

I think it would be best to go with someone getting the materials and fixtures for you. In the long run it may end up being cheaper, because, as mentioned, you may buy the wrong things, etc.. And also you have to factor in YOUR time taking care of all of this. Especially if you have to keep going back to swap things out. I would count the cost and then get an estimate from a couple of different "fitters" and see if the cost is that much more significant.

17. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

theres nothing wrong with speedfit or other plastics really, but if a "professional tradesman" wants to use it to reconnect/change your bathroom fixtures above floor level then id be concerned about the skill of said professional. Its quite different if your a diyer of course.

18. Geek, if it were me (but it wouldn't be 'cos I'm brilliant and do all this myself), this is what I'd do:

Look through catalogues and visit stores and get a really good idea of what items I want in my bathroom and how it should all look. If you can find an actual image of the whole design you want so's you can can say "Just like this...", then all the better. Make a list of the actual pottery/ shower items you want - inc shower head/ control styles etc - as much as possible.

Then you call up a few 'fitters' - these could be plumbers or complete install outfits or whatever. (Plumbers who like to just tackle the wet stuff should know of other tradespeeps they can call on for flooring, tiling, etc if needed. In which case THEY co-ordinate it all.)

I'd personally try and avoid trying to project manage this yourself - if one trade lets you down, you will mightily p-off everyone else.

Then call out a few fitters. Ideally recommended ones. Really ideally recommended ones.

Sit down, discuss your selection and finish by saying "I'd like items that look like this, and are of at least this quality. And not cost any more than what I could buy them for..."

They might know of better-value alternatives. They might come back and say "for just £100 more I can get you this make - faaaar superior to what you've been looking at", or they might just say "No prob - I'll get you these items." (and hopefully they'll make a few quid on it.)

A couple of months down the line, you are having a shower in your new bathroom. You step out and notice a puddle on the floor - it's hard to trace just where it's coming from. You call out the fitter...

If you bought these items yourself, and if the fitter says "Sorry mate - it's a faulty seal in the panel" or "a poor quality product...", you are stuffed. You will need to prove it was an installation fault, and not with the actual product (and, of course, it could well be a faulty product, in which case you'll have to pay the guy to replace it...)

You could sort this, but it'd mean getting other fitters in to examine it. Or the manufacturer. A complete 'mare.

On the other hand, if you let the fitter source and fit everything, then all you have to do is call him out and point out the leak with a "Fix it. Ta muchly."

The choice is yours.

19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I agree with your way of thinking as a customer Mr Devs but, pass the buck is a tactic adopted by us plumbers because its now become a way of life, whether you're buying a car,computer,3 piece suite or plane ticket, there's never a situation whereby you can talk directly to the bloke you bought it from and make a logical arrangement to replace/put it right, that's just how thing's are, I'm even thinking of installing a sales centre type land line where you dial one for booking an appointment, two to make a payment,3 to discuss changes to your appointment or four to hear the main menu again, :)

FatHands likes this.
  20. Tee-hee, I do understand the dilemma for the fitter, especially if they didn't supply the main bathroom items (so didn't make a few quid on it).

If an item proves to be faulty - and that happens a fair bit - they will feel under a lot of pressure to put things right. Even tho' it's not their fault. But the customer will rarely see it any other way than - the fitter sorts it, end of.

Most of these kinds of problems can be sorted in advance by clear communication and detailing in the contract; the fitter should make it clear that any problem due to faulty items supplied by the customer will only be repaired on the payment of the labour charges. End of story...

FatHands likes this.