Byelaw 30

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY_Bob, Feb 25, 2005.

1. DIY_Bob

DIY_Bob New Member

I understand that this affects potable cisterns, but does it affect non-potable ones e.g. for insulation (prevention of cold air entering) and stopping bugs?

If it does - any ideas where to get a the bits and bobs needed, had a look on Screwfix but can't find any....cheers

2. bearhands

bearhands New Member

Hi, Bob,

Strictly speaking, potable water is never stored water! only water directly from the mains is deemed 'potable'(we'll ignore people living half way up a mountain for the moment!) The purpose of the Byelaw 30 kit is to (1)maintain the quality of water stored in the cold water storage cistern, i.e. supplying all other hot and cold taps and services, (2) to prevent anything getting into the water to contaminate it (3) to prevent stored water being drawn back into the main (potable) supply.
    The tank itself should be black with close-fitting lid(s), the ball-valve is now a 'part 2' type and the overflow/warning pipe has a mesh filter to keep out bugs. Most new tanks (cisterns) are sold with a kit to meet regs. Wickes (sorry Screwfix) used to sell a kit or you should be able to buy one from a plumbers merchant.
    In practice the water in the cistern is potable (you'd be cleaning your teeth with it!) but it should definitely not supply the kitchen cold tap! Cheers!

3. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

4. DIY_Bob

DIY_Bob New Member

Cheers Bearhands and r2d2.

I'll check out bes ltd......

Come on SF where are the kits on your site??????