BYRON IB11 WIRED DOOR INTERCOM

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RossSA, Jan 20, 2017.

1. RossSA

RossSA New Member

Hey guys,

Can anyone shed light on the following?

We installed this intercom on a hospital ward this week and have had nothing but trouble with it. We thought it was a faulty product so replaced it and the same issues remain:

We used low voltage screened cable to extend the three cables up to ~ 26 metres.

This extension of the cable was completed using Wego lever splicing push connectors for each of the three cables.

The issue is an intermittent one where we test the bell and the two-way communication and all is fine. Then suddenly the chime is inconsistent and you can sometimes hear the chime when the hand-set has been picked up. Today, the handset started playing a completely random tune instead of the 'ding ****'.

My question is:

> Have you encountered this before, if so based on my description of install have we made any obvious errors?

> Would the low voltage cable used to extend play any part in this?

> Would the push connectors play a part? (continuity has been checked and fine)

> Is this due to the length, approaching the 30 metres max? IF so what are the symptoms we would see if the 30 metres had been exceeded?

Anyone whos installed this unit or had any issues with it with any helpful advice would be welcomed!

Thanks guys.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Get a professional to sort it out

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Bit harsh

KIAB likes this.
  4. RossSA

RossSA New Member

Glad I came on here.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would say 30 metres is your problem, as the the intercom comes with a 8 metre connection cable.
    It's voltage is only 12v, but it going struggle & volts drop off with the distance.

A few sparks on here that work with intercoms, so could recommend something more suitable.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

24v or wireless model would give you a longer range 50-100 metres or so.

7. RossSA

RossSA New Member

Thank you KIAB for a useful response.

Appreciate it ;)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should have add mains wireless, some use FM, other communicate using the mains wiring.:)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017