Cable access through insulated cavity wall. Possible?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Fithawk, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

Following my last thread re external Flexi Conduit for my shower cable, I've decided to scrap that idea and route inside. That leads me to another question. Easy access from Consumer Unit to under landing floorboards, but then ideally want to go through an insulated cavity, about 2.5m into my loft space. Can it be done? If not I'll need to trunk, but don't really want to do that. Thanks.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If the cable is totally surrounded by isulation for more than 5cm then it will need to be derated. What is it your trying to do/achieve? What sort of shower?

3. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

I'm replacing 8mm with 10mm to a 10.4kw shower. Thanks

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Only tails can be run in cavities. . .anyone else want to clarify this?

5. sparky Si-Fi

Your reg. spark will probably end up running the cable under the floor and using a landing airing cupboard as the communication point.

You should not be doing this mate, its a new circuit and warrants Electrical installation cert as well as notification to BC

Don't say you have not been informed

6. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

Thanks for the info. FYI I'm doing the leg work to keep cost down. An electrician will make and test connections.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Good luck with that!

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Insulated cavity? I am assuming not the external wall cavity? A stud wall or boxed in soil pipe? It can be done, but the cable needs to be sized to take into consideration the down rating due to insulation.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you mean 6mm to 10mm?

Why are you thinking of upgrading the shower to a bigger power one?

10. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

Yep, external wall cavity.

11. sparky Si-Fi

You cannot run cables in wall cavitys only tails is my understamding (anyone got a reg on this?)

This electrician you are using must be daft, your using his licence number to install cabling where it is not allowed??

I think your doing it all yourself and telling us what we want to hear regarding the test aspect

leave it alone is my advice

12. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

13. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

To Sparky Si-Fi

Whether you believe me or not really doesn't bother me! I am not in the habit of creating an unsafe environment for my family, so if it needs professional buy off, It will happen!

I've taken your advice and will route into a cupboard space, into the loft space. From there it's out of my hands. So thanks for the help, but not the unnecessary criticism.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You should be grateful a pro like Si-Fi has taken the time to help you out. He doesn't get paid for it and is TRYING to help you, not criticize.

15. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

Asked this question to my Scheme provider years ago as I wire a lot of conservatories where sometimes the only place to run the cables is within the dwarf wall cavities. I like to think that as I can see what is in the cavity I can comply with all of the regulations quoted. Still have to run some cables where I shouldn’t but hey ho sometimes all we can do is what we can do and thank god for Rcd’s

There is no direct regulations saying you can’t but

The NICEIC suggests it is difficult for installer to ensure compliance on all of the following areas inside a cavity that you can’t see into.
    522.8.1: Damage to cables during installation
    Obstructions in cavity e.g. metal wall ties, mortar projections, create a risk of unseen damage.
    522.8.4: Strain on cables lacking support.
    Long unsupported vertical drops may put strain on conductors.
    522.5.3: Materials liable to cause mutual or individual deterioration.
    Expanded polystyrene sheets, granules or foam used in buildings for insulation if comes into contact with thermoplastic (pvc) cable sheathing, plasticiser can migrate from the thermoplastic to the polystyrene.
    523.7: Cables in thermal insulationThermal insulation installed in cavity walls during or after construction, the cable current-carrying capacity is to be taken as half the �clipped direct� (Reference Method C) rating unless more precise information is available.
    522.9.1 and 522.10.1: Presence of flora and fauna
    Designers and installers may not necessarily detect or predict the presence of flora or fauna in a cavity wall. The wiring system should be selected to withstand all the external influences expected, or damage to cables may occur from, for example, mould or rodents.

Building Regulations
    Building Regulations 2000, Approved Document C, 2004 Edition, Section 5: Walls, paragraph 5.13 b Cavity external walls, requires, amongst other things, that a cavity external wall is at least 50 mm wide, and the cavity is to be bridged only by wall ties or by cavity trays provided to prevent moisture being carried to the inner leaf.
    A cavity is intended to provide a gap to prevent water penetration. Cables could bridge this protection if they touch both the inner and outer leaves of a cavity wall. Furthermore, the cables could provide a route for water to drain directly into accessories, with potentially dangerous results.

NHBC Requirements
    It is noteworthy that the National House-Building Council states, in Section 8.1 - S2 of NHBC Standards, that no cables other than electricity meter tails are to be located in the cavity of an external wall. Where meter tails do have to pass through the cavity, however, this does not preclude the requirements of BS 7671 referred to in this topic having to be met.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If I go across a cavity I use swa or a bit of placky conduit. I've never found a need to run cable "up" or "down" a cavity though have been tempted.

17. Fithawk

Fithawk Member

Many thanks to the forum for all the useful information and advice. Appreciated. I now have a way forward.

18. sparky Si-Fi

Its nice to know Part P is still doing its job when anyone now can run in a cable and powers up 50% of the current demand sat in the REC's carrier. .

You have a way forward but its not how we can do it to comply with regulations and safety standards

All the best and no criticisms intended, I am helping you do the job correctly