Cable prices

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jul 29, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I have enquired with Screwfix about their prices for the twin and earth but have yet to receive a satisfactory reply. The price of copper is rock bottom at the minute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/commodities/11701/twelve_month.stm

Currently they are about £8 dearer for a coil of 2.5 than most wholesalers, however it is Prysmian cable and its a doddle to install and strip. some of the other makes, either the end falls off the drum or its a **** to strip back, is it worth the extra £8 to not punch the wall when 2nd fixing.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I had a 100m reel of the Tower twin 2.5mm and much preferred it to the Prys. I find the Pris has to be treated with kid gloves compared to the Tower. The Tower could be really yanked about before it got damaged.

3. iandaviot

iandaviot Member

I would never go to screwfix for cable, i buy prysmian all the time from wholesalers wont use anything else prices at moment are
    £18 for 1.0
    £22 for 1.5
    £28 fro 1.0 3 core
    £30 for 1.5 3 core
    £30 for 2.5
    All plus vat
    I think most wholesalers give cable out at a lost leader in the hope you will buy other things too.

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

That price you linked to is the 3 month futures price. The cable companies would have bought theirs a while ago when it was a lot higher, and probably on the up. We'll see the cable price coming down in a few months time.

5. peter palmer

Can't get 2.5 for £30+vat round here at the moment, its about £34+vat. Just had an email off denmans for one of their sales days - £32+vat, 1mm is £17+ though.

6. peter palmer

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I was needing a couple of metres of 0.75mm flex today, and SF was just a minute away.

£9.00 for 5m !! or £55.74 for 100m

£34.80 at TLC for 100m

I went away empty handed!

8. peter palmer

Its not that I begrudge them charging that price, B&Q have similar prices but they are a retail outfit. Screwfix mad a big thing about Electrifix and would not let us join unless we showed them our trade qualifications yet they want to charge full retail price for everything, makes no sense.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I used rexel senate for a bit, quite a bit cheaper for cut lengths. Don't need any now though.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have C&G 236 Electrical Installations,from 30 about years ago, & they won't reconise that as qualifications.