Cable size for showers

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by iandaviot, Feb 19, 2010.

1. getalifeyoulot

getalifeyoulot New Member

Mr Silly

I am with you on this one - what a lot of **. Install the circuit as required. 10mm cable when 6mm will do. WTF are you lot thinking of. There seems to be more people on this forum 'bs7671 police' than actual workers. *** get out there and do a bit of work - most of you post during the day whilst i'm out earning the doe. Give up your lives as forum trolls. Work safely, do your job right and don't look to these w***** for advice.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It seems to me that to get a decent shower then you need a decent flow rate at a nice temp. 9.5kW and above is indicative of this, and this needs a cable of 10mm. Borderline is not in the equation really is it..and to cap it all in some instances and with a super shower then 16mm could be indicated (going by the calcs and installation methods)..but well I dunno.

3. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

why

if it is not required seems a bit untrained to me

cheers

put in the right gear at the time of installation

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Well you installations might be stipulated by a schematic or something, I don't know. Talk to the architect..I would.

5. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

<u>Well you installations might be stipulated by a schematic or something, I don't know. Talk to the architect..I would</u>

most are untrained types

cheers

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

As said it is down to the individual how he deploys circuits and the cable size used etc. Some will use this size cable, and some will use that size cable..it doesn't mean that a wrong technique has been deployed.

Its the individuals choice at the end of the day.

7. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

lap dog you stated that 10 mm should be used end off

you talk *****

and have a very **** taste in music to boot

cheers

8. getalifeyoulot

getalifeyoulot New Member

Yep

JP is full of *- shut your hole rather than talk dung.

[Edited by: admin]

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No I didn't Mr Sillys..I said I would use 10mm min..nowt more or owt less.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wit Crabtree certain stuff I might add..:)

11. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

fish n chips

john smiths==;;

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lol..:)

13. Jeff-m

Jeff-m New Member

So, I upgraded to a 8.5kw shower about 3 months ago. Yesterday my niece was taking a shower and all the power went off...

Turns out that the insulation on the 6mm live conductor had melted....

It’s less than a 10m run, in free air for the first meter, buried in a wall (prob in plastic conduit, chased into plaster on an external cavity wall) in the landing up to the loft. Under loft boards with a small amount (2-3”) of fibreglass insulation for about 1m, into the ceiling pull switch.

Having cut back the dirty cable ends and renewed the switch, the cables are still warm to the touch after running for 10 mins.

Is this ok, or do I need to upgrade cable / downgrade the shower?

(The mcb is 32A)

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like you had a loose connection, that's why the cable overheated near the end, from what you've said the 6mm should be fine for an 8.5kW shower.

unphased, Jeff-m and Heat like this.
  15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Holy thread resurrection.jpg
    @Jeff-m You dug up an old topic from NINE years ago!!
    Why, oh why didn't you use the nice button marked "Post New Thread" and start one of your own??

seneca likes this.
  16. Jeff-m

Jeff-m New Member

That’s what ‘search’ does.

How many threads about shower cable size do you want?!

Lol

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The problem is..if you dig up an old topic, people who aren't paying attention to the little dates at the bottom, waste their time reading all the way through 32 posts from ten years ago before they come to your add-on post that has nothing to do with the original topic.

18. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

10mm into switches ain’t a problem if you know what ur doin!

19. Flame

Flame Member

i've just done exactly that. :rolleyes: