Cable size on same circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AlexGoode, Dec 22, 2014.

1. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

Hello, looking to add 3 led lights for outside after contactor and see that lights already on the same circuit are wired in what seems to be 2.5m steel armoured. my question is whether it is ok just to add the new lights with 1.5mm t+e or is there another way which is better practice?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's fine provided the fuse/circuit breaker is sized for the 1.5mm cable. (below 16 amps)

3. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

k then, at the moment there is i think 5 lights for a driveway- they are the victorian style of approx. 7/8 foot street light but do not know what size lamp they have and the furthest is 60m away from the board making me think that is why 2.5mm is used. can you also tell me please why for the contactor the live comes from the main power rather than the switch live of the timer as well as going to A1?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's because the switch is supplying just the low current for the contactor coil, the higher current for the load comes from the supply, that's the purpose of the contactor, to prevent the higher current going through the switch.

5. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

ok then, it has all made sense today thank you, i am just wondering now about the fact that some lights area already being supplied through 2.5mm but the new lights have .75m flex on them which cannot be taken out- is it still safe?
    it all has a 10A MCB

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

What installation method is your Twin and Earth going to be? There is a reason the existing installation is done in SWA.....

7. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

because the cable goes underground down the driveway, this is with one buildings

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

So where are your fittings going? Clipped direct in a garage or something?

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

10. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

doesn't matter, asked my boss earlier, he answered some questions, spoke to friend, doing it in plucky conduit, yeah they are outside a couple of doorways