Cabling and fuse box enquiry

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phillip K, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

Hi guys

I recently had an electrician out to give me a quote to install some down lights in my kitchen. When he came out I showed him the old kitchen light, he said to me that my house was wired up with old rubber wires and my fuse box is out of date he said he would need a full re wire before he can do any work. I have had a look around the house and have seen that the cabling is BASEC BICC GROUP cables it is just the kitchen light that is possible old rubber wiring. The fuse box is a MK SENTRY CONSUMER UNIT. Will I need a full re wire or have I been given false info? Grateful for any advice.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

He's "trying it on"! The rubber cabling might well be deteriorated but if it is still in good condition (which is quite likely) there's no reason why it can't be kept in use. It's usually the ends that can cause trouble because the rubber perishes near to the connections but that just means it needs cutting back a bit further as long as there's a little slack. As for the fuse box he's probably talking about a lack of rcd protection, again he's talking rubbish as it's lighting you want changing. If it were sockets or bathroom work it would be a different matter but for what you want there's no problem.

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I wouldn't work on, extend or alter rubber. Often it is just the lights that are rubber, with PVC for the rest. IMO, the lights would be rewired.

Photos?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Why's that then Lec? provided it's in serviceable condition I don't see a problem.

5. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

It looks like the light switches are on new wire but the actual light cables and plugs are on the old rubber cable. Will an electrician be able to keep any existing new cables and just update the old ones or will they have to update the lot.

Attached Files:

6. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

The old rubber cables.

Attached Files:

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

1492948133770-155956435.jpg

Hmmmmm is that cable on the furthest right with metal clip rubber?

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That does look like rubber cables coming out of the ceiling, but may be serviceable. A simple electrical test and a visial inspection can determine this.
    @Phillip K one thing to note is that you do not have any RCD protection on your consumer unit. This may need to added if new circuits need to be installed.

9. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

Right ok thanks for the advice, what would you say is a reasonable price for a 3 bed semi detached house if fully rewired and updated fuse box?

10. Lectrician

Rubber cables may be serviceable, but you would never extend from them or alter them. They are also likely missing a CPC. Any decent spark installing downlights would not touch the rubber.

RCD protection needs sorting, a new CU is likely the cheapest option.

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you add a picture of your fuse box (consumer unit). MK Sentry have had RCD availability for well over 20 years and it would be interesting to see what you have currently installed.

12. Lectrician

Pic above...

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Missed the little ones! I saw the large one ...

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Wouldn't touch rubber wiring no cpc you probably have jbs all over place rewire prob best option

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Phil, your sparky is right not only for the reasons given above but also this. When any 'expert' or competent person works on a service in your home, or any where else, he becomes the last competent person to see the installation. On completion of the work he will issue a completion cert or minor works cert for which he will have carried out tests on the WHOLE installation. He then become responsible for your installation safety for an undefined time not exceeding 5 years. So a little job on the kitchen lights turns into a monster and everyone wants to cover their back. I would do the same, if it looks dodgy I tend to walk away if the customer does not accept advice. I would agree that a full re wire is probably required as your home is a mixture of new and old which never quite sits together well. Sorry to be the bearer of expensive news.

16. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Surely, issuing a MWC does require tests on the WHOLE installation.

17. amzi

amzi New Member

Hi,

I have recently purchase a new induction hob and a single oven for my kitchen both of the appliances are a 13 amp power supply, dose any body know if It's ok to run both appliances from a normal 13 amp double socket spur or do I have to run a new circuit with more power from my fuse box?

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

@amzi mate, do yourself a favour. Delete your post and start a new topic.
    Hijacking somebody else's thread is bad manners!

19. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Yeawser, offload it on someone else which is bad, leave it as it is which is also bad or get it re-wired properly.

Rubber insulation breaks down and crumbles leaving bare conductors so you may end up with well problems. re-wiring your house and having a full part p certification will no doubt increase the value of your house come time to sell.

You have no RCD protection which unfortunately means yes it requires attention. You have a shower without RCD protection so this is a Code 2. You are in a difficult situation as you have old rubber insulated cables which mean they need testing and will end up on the report.
    If they pass a insulation test then maybe ok but it has to be added to the report.

Borderline at best.

20. Phillip K

Phillip K New Member

Just want to say a massive thanks to every one who offered advice I ended up getting a full re wire as alot of you have mentioned I wanted it to be safe and in the long run it would help in selling the house. Thanks again you all have been really helpful.

Sparkielev likes this.