Can a washing machine be mounted at chest height?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by John Bib, Apr 15, 2014.

1. John Bib

John Bib New Member

Being unable to bend or kneel down (poor old ***), doing the laundry is getting tricky.
    I'm planning a high-level oven in the kitchen but what about the washer/dryer?
    There's loadsa built-in & integrated ones, but they all seem to be floor-standing.
    I'm guessing a washing machine's weight and vibration will make the answer a 'No'.
    Has anyone ever come across this before?

2. Jamie Giles

Jamie Giles New Member

Hello I have seen people have dryers on a Worktop height before but not a washing machine. However, as long as it is mounted on something strong that will hold its weight and encased so it can't move around I can't see a problem. If you have ever been in a laundrettes before they are mounted high up. Hope this helps.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've never done it but can't see why not, if you have the space it makes a lot of sense.

4. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Do u have a local disability adviser from the council or charity, if so, speak to them and see what they advise as they would be your awesome valuable resource into tackling your laundry issue.

mounting washing machine at chest level is complex and hard due to extreme vibrations it goes though in spin cycle, but some models you can and some models you can't. Your disability advisor can advise you on this.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the base is stable and strong what is the problem?

6. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

machine walking if not set up correctly, even if you has set it up correctly, but biggest thing of all is the wall type and how the worktop/unit r fitted to the wall. is it enough to take the weight as well as the vibrations all these need to be taken into consideration.

Dryer is different to washing machine, dryer drums spin slowly so vibration r at a minimum.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think that was covered by the base being stable and strong, obviously you wouldn't stick a washer on a standard fitted worktop, it would be specced as a floor.

8. And there's yer answer, John :)

Yes - there is no reason why it cannot be done provided the base it stands on is designed for the job - strongly and solidly braced from below to cope with the weight and vibration. Any half-decent chippy, builder or DIYer should be able to do this.

The W/M flexi waste hose should still exit as shown in the W/M instructions - loop up to a minimum height before emptying into a trap (which will need an extension!) Ie - do not have the outlet hose just falling down from your raised-height machine or you'll find it very dry inside...

Thin battens firmly attached to the raised base will stop the W/M wandering during spins...

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Good point about raising the waste, easy to do but easy to miss out.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would suggest that the machine doesn't need to be at 'worktop' height, but that the drum should be.
    So approximately the base would be half as high as woktop(making it even more 'do-able' and stable)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. ...or else filling the soap dispenser will be a hit or miss affair...

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could put a mirror on the ceiling so you can see what you are doing, I'm sure Handy has tried this already. ;)

13. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok my thoughts

it can give a hell of a hammering if un-ballanced
    it will "walk" if not restrained
    it will be as loud as hell without a thick rubber mat

if you have the machine and its quiet and well behaved then you might be ok if not would seek further advice from the manufacturer off both the machine and the kitchen as i can see a machine ruenning its self and the units it stands on if not done correctly

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  14. I did this for a B&Q fit that I did some time ago I used a belfast sink base unit with solid top, 2220Hx610Dx28Wmm End panels down to floor a standard 600 base above washer all fixed to wall with L brackets and the machine was a AEG which was supplied with foot clamps so the legs where fastened to the unit and at the top I fixed the top plate off the customers old intigrated fridge to hold the top in place not heard anything back so I am guessing that its been fine

Hope this helps

15. John Bib

John Bib New Member

Wow! Great answers guys, many thanks. Confident enough now to get some quotes.

Ideally, I'm looking at raising it 600mm off the floor (to get the bottom of the drum at about 900mm).

What do you think about a solid base (brick-faced breeze-block) with a sound-absorbing mat of some sort?

I also found some examples by Googling 'washer dryer pedestal diy' and clicking the "Images" button.
    Also looks like Samsung have machines with built-in pedestals (Google 'washer dryer pedestal samsung').

16. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

John, what make and model si your washing machine? I notices LG does pedestal too using your google search methods, maybe there is one already made for your make and model?

17. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

What about a top loader? Have fitted these in kitchens for people with limited mobility and back problems.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could end up dancing in the moonlight.

19. John Bib

John Bib New Member

Had me going there for a minute ... but at least it reminded me how good Thin Lizzie were!

20. John Bib

John Bib New Member

Not a bad idea - but it would have to be a washer/dryer. I'll have a look around.