Can anyone explain CH heat output requirement???

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mark broadbent, Feb 15, 2017.

1. mark broadbent

mark broadbent New Member

Hi, we live in a big Victorian semi detached that is majority north facing so at best its cold, at worst ffffreezing. We have a baxi 105e that can keep the house toasty but costs about £7 a day to do so, thus i'm on the hunt for cheaper bills. Ive measured researched and checked all our radiators which are all less than a year old (so should be efficient). The total KW of the radiators is 17kW. My main question is if I get a smaller CH rated boiler keeping the same DHW flow rate as the baxi we have, would it keep the house as warm using less gas? The baxi produces 34kW useful CH heat so if for eg I get a Worcester greenstar 30i which has a CH of 24kW, this in theory is still well over the 17kW required by radiators, I understand there is loss from pipe runs etc, but how would I measure this? a side question which is where my main confusion, naivety comes in, if my radiators need 17kW and my boiler gives them 34kW, wheres the other 17kW going? or isn't it as simple as that? DHW isn't a massive concern as we have an electric shower, the bath fills at a perfectly acceptable rate and so does the kitchen sink.
    If anyone can help id be hugely grateful!!!
    :):):)

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

A new boiler may be more efficient, but the energy needed to heat the house is not based on the boiler output, rather the heat loss of the building itself. The only real way to reduce heating costs is to improve the insulation levels.
    You could look at alternative heating systems, such as air source heat pumps etc, but you will still have the issue of heat loss. Just to be clear a smaller boiler will not help to any real extent and the costs of fitting may never be recovered through reduced gas bills.

If it is such an issue, then I would look at the options to insulate the building.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. proby

proby Active Member

As Caig says you would still need to generate the same amount of heat to keep the house the same temperature as it is now. Look at insulation, walls, floors, roof any drafts from windows and doors. Victorian house is going to be solid walls search this site for insulating solid walls either batoning or insulated plasterboard will make a huge difference.

4. Hi Mark. It's as Craig says.

Is your boiler a combi? I'm guessing it is since you mention 'keeping the same DHW flow rate'.

In which case, your 105's max 34kW will only kick in when you open a hot tap. And the same applies if you were to replace it with the slightly smaller WB's 30kW - it'll only produce this when demanded of it, and that's when instantly heating cold mains water for your tap.

Also, both these boilers (like all modern HE boilers, I believe) are 'modulating' so automatically adjust their burners to meet the actual demand made on them - a bit like turning a gas hob burner down to 'simmer' once the pan of porridge has boiled. So, in practice, if your 105 is keeping your 17kW of rad demand happy, then it's only producing 17kW - it's turned itself down to suit.

So there is no 'missing' 17kW - it chust ain't being generated.

You probably could get a very marginal improvement in efficiency by turning the boiler's CH output down as low as still heats your house - the cooler the return flow, the more it'll 'condense' - so more efficient. Careful control might gain you - ooh - a couple of extra %... :rolleyes: ?

A better way - too late now - would have been to increase the outputs of the rads you replaced last year. This would mean that they'd deliver the same heat output on a slightly cooler flow water temp - again giving more efficiency.

So that leaves, as Craig says, insulation insulation and youknowwhat.

Or a completely different heating system like an heat pump. Worth it, when your current system is near-new? No, surely not.

But you can do a lot with £1k's worth of insulation. If you can DIY this, then you could transform your house's insul value. Eg, lining all your external walls with 25mm insulated p'board will have a huge effect. Making sure there are no draughts coming up through your floor boards would ditto.

Anyhoo, you live in a huge Viccie semi, so you pays your costs :p

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think insulation,HW,CH pipes insulate them where possible,you got supended ground floor, insulation between the joists can help.

6. mark broadbent

Thanks everyone, I have considered insulation, it's a big job but I'm ok with DIY so would do it myself anyway, the lofts are already super insulated with 300-500mm of rockwool, but it's the old solid walls that are letting me down. Is insulated plasterboard comparable to battening and rockwool? I am due to fit a new kitchen this year sometime so it would be a good point to get a new boiler fitted, which is why I thought about it. I understand more now what the boiler does in terms of only giving "17kw" rather than 30 and losing some.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better boilers than baxi 105e available.

8. Insulated plasterboard is far superior to battening and in-filling. No cold bridges. High quality insulation, so even a thin layer will give huge results.

The thinnest of this stuff ( http://insulationgiant.scene7.com/is/content/travisperkins/C0597_778056_TECH_0 ) is only 25mm total thickness (15mm + 9.6mm) and has an R of 0.70. The next size up is R 1.2.

Either will make a HUGE difference and will transform your home.

Dot and Dab - it'll be dead easy. Follow some video guidelines, and go for it.

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Main point You have a combi, the priority of a combi is to heat hot water, therefore the higher the output of the boiler the better the flow rate of the hot water.
    So to counter this you need a combi that can be range rated on the heating independently from the water, your old Baxi 105 wont do that, but a Valiant Eco TEC will, as will a Worcester Greenstar Cdi

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valiant Eco TEC top of my list.:)

11. mark broadbent

Hi Dave, so I've just had a brief look at the Vaillant it certainly looks promising for when the baxi packs in, the lowest model, 835, has a DHW flow higher than I have now so that's a tick, the CH heat out appears to be around 25kw, given my radiators total 17kw this sounds like another tick in the box, is this correct or should there be some headroom in heat output? Another general question about insulating, I've tried googling to no avail, should I insulate the internal walls too or just the external, so in general two walls per room?

12. Ah - the 105e ain't a condensing or modulating fellow? My bad...

Chust had a wee look - it basically cycles once it reaches max flow temp, turning off for 3 minutes to prevent too much cycling.

Realistically, still not worth him swapping sooner rather than wait until it simply packs in?

13. Just insulate the external walls. The internal walls aren't dragging the room's heat anywhere.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Heating setting range output is adjustable, for an example on a ecoTEC exclusive 835, it's 4 - 25Kw.

15. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

1. The lowest model is actually the 24kw Ecotec Pro
    2. The flow rate depends on the water pressure, size of feed pipe from the mains etc, not the size of boiler
    3. A higher output boiler will just give you hotter water for the same flow rate.
    4. If you are happy with the hot water flow rate and temperature, there's no point installing a higher output boiler
    5. The boiler output required for CH is normally lower than that for HW, so it's worth getting a boiler which can be adjusted to give a lower CH output.

16. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Mark, I dont know which area of the country you live, but if and when you decide to replace your existing boiler and are happy with the Valiant, have a look on the Vaillant Advance website for an installer. We "Advance" registered installers can offer extended warranties on the boilers because weve been trained to install them as the manufacturers want them installed and commissioned correctly.

KIAB likes this.
  17. Remloc

Remloc New Member

A new boiler will modulate the heat load depending on the readings it receives from the sensor within the boiler on the flow and return pipe work. So a new boiler may start output of 24Kw then is would modulate the range down and up when required.

Insulation of the house would be advised to help with the heat loss.

18. mark broadbent

Hi Dave, I'm in the West Midlands area, I know it's difficult without seeing it but what would be a rough cost of fitting a Vaillant as a direct replacement so old boiler off and new one on, no major pipework change required?