Can anyone help me with a cieling problem?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LP18, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Yes you can.

If the holes are powdery, then either brush them with the dilute PVA mix, or possibly chust spray some water on to the dusty edges first to stop too much suction.

But keep all PVA off the finished surface or else it could prove troublesome when painting aftewards.

With this small area of repair, just give it your best shot with the plastering trowel - it's small enough to rescue afterwards if it goes pear-shaped; ie fill any hollows and sand down any raised bits (after it's bone dry, of course...)

LP18 likes this.
  2. LP18

LP18 Member

Okay, cool.
    Seems simple enough (he says :D)

So it'd be a thicker mix for packing the gaps and filling any holes, and then a thinner mix for the main skim over the plaster board. Is that correct?

Just making sure I have it understood before I go ahead with it.

Cheers

3. That's the gist, yes.

The mix used for skimming will be like double-cream, so will slump if applied too thickly into larger gaps or holes.

So, yes, make up a couple of cupfulls in a stiffer mix to use as a filler.

If the holes or gaps are bare old plaster, then prime with dilute PVA or else it could draw the water oot the mix and make it shrink and awkward to handle

LP18 likes this.
  4. LP18

LP18 Member

I've plastered the ceiling. Took longer to get everything sorted than I expected. I applied it slightly thicker than the depth of the original ceiling so that I can sand back to it.

Any tips for sanding so I don't balls it up? :D

Cheers

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

LP18 likes this.
  6. LP18

LP18 Member

Thanks for the link, that looks interesting.

And yes, well considering it was my first time ever plastering anything, putting too much on to then sand back seemed a better bet than pretending I was going to get a perfect skim in two coats on an uneven surface. You know, like a pro plasterer can :)