Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hunny, Jun 18, 2016.

1. hunny

hunny New Member

My son has just bought a new house. Within a week, the boiler went and he had to have a new combination boiler fitted (vaillant). Since then , when the toilet - upstairs or downstairs- is flushed and then hot water tap turned on, he is getting a loud humming noise.

Looking this up on line, the suggestion is the ball valve is pointed to as the culprit - but we're pretty sure this isn't to blame in this case. I feel so sorry for him! Has anyone any suggestions - really would be gratefully received! Thanks in advance

2. Hi Hunny ( :rolleyes: )

By ballvalve I presume you mean the one in his toilet cistern?

Fair chance it's the culprit, tho' all types of valve with rubber washers (the cold 'mains' stopcock, for instance) can also do this.

I guess if he lifts the top of the cistern, flushes it and then pulls up the ball valve to stop the flow mid-noise will show if it's the culprit?

teabreak likes this.
  3. Oh, this happens with either toilet?

Hmmm, it's less likely it's the cistern, then.

He could try turning his mains stopcock closed a half turn to see if that helps. Or even a half turn further open (they ideally shouldn't be fully open anyway as this can cause them to seize.)

My suspicions now are that it's the mains stopcock that's at fault. If it turns out to be - and it cannot be sorted without replacement - then fit a 'full-bore lever valve' in its place.

Jobbie jobbed. (In both senses... :rolleyes: )

KIAB likes this.
  4. hunny

hunny New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply so helpfully. Really appreciated. :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. hunny

hunny New Member

Thank you so much for this info and the link - very kind of you!

7. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Guessing

Hum or Vibration.
    Unclipped pipe some place.
    Thats well known as well.
    Wonder just turn the cold water input stopcock down a bit.

Good luck

Johnny M

8. hunny

hunny New Member

Thank you John - something easy to try first!