Can anyone identify these screws?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Nikki Woods, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

Hope this is the right place to ask this. I got a second-hand Kinnarps desk (it has a motor that lets you use it sitting or standing) and in the removal, some screws that attach the metal legs to the desk were lost.

I think I am missing about four of each of these, but I don't know what to ask for and when I went to some shops to ask they didn't have any that were the same. I was thinking that if I could find what they are called, I could search for them online? Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

Measurements are in mm and the length of the screws is the threaded part only - does not include the head.

Thanks!

2. Hi Nikki.

What did these screw go in to? Both into 'metal'?

Does the one with the hex head also have a tapered tip, or is it flat?

Ideally we'd need to know the size and type of thread - eg is it Metric 'machine'

All I can say (tho' I suspect others on here will know a lot more) is that the one of the left has a 'countersunk' head and takes a 'pozidrive' screwdriver (probably PZ2 size).

The fellow on the right has an internal Hex (or Allen) head and needs a Hex key (or Allen...) to turn it.

IF it has an M5 thread (good chance it does), then it'll be very easy to locate replacements.

But really you need to find out what threads they are.

You reckon the LF screw is wider in the threaded area?

Can you try - screw in the hex bolt when it's meant to go, and then try the PZ2 screw in the SAME hole. Does it fit?

Also try - hold the screws horizontally by their heads, one in each hand. Now place the threaded part of one against the threaded part of the other (avoiding their heads). Do the two threads 'mesh' nicely, or are they different?

I wonder if the Hex bolt goes into what is clearly a 'nut' (whether fixed or not) and the 'screw'-type bolt goes into a hole in metal plate a bit like a self-taper?

Any chance of photos of the parts they go in to?

(Good chance you'll have an engineering parts shop ('fasteners & fixings') in a commercial park in your town. They'll soon sort you out if you are stuck...)

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Nikki

Might be an obvious question but have you contacted Kinnarps directly ?

http://www.kinnarps.com/en/uk/Where-to-find-us/WhereFindUs/-UKlocations-/London/

No doubt you could get replacement screws elsewhere but Ive often found that for small items like this, the supplier / manufacturer will often pop a few in the post free of charge (of course, you don't mind paying for them either)

Email them the photos and an ID should be straightforward, along with replacements - good luck

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Countersunk socket machine screw self tapper left, & Cap hex head screws on right.

Any decent engineer's merchant should stock them.:)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  5. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

First of all, thanks for your very detailed reply and questions! :) I put some answers in red below and attached new pictures.

New pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Both Self tappers, one of which is pointed (Type AB) very common & self cutting, other uses pilot hole (Type B).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  7. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

Thank you - so I should search for "Type AB self tapping screw 10mm X 5.5mm" and "Type B self tapping screw 5mm X 20mm"? I am not sure how to descrive the dimensions.... :-/

8. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

I did quickly look on their site but couldn't find the desk model and somehow assumed they'd not make it a big priority to help someone find a few screws. But you're right, it's worth a try and have now emailed them too. Thank you!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You could email a photo to company or any decent engineer's merchant should stock them.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I had some secateurs, good ones they were. But the 'snail' spring was knackered.
    I looked all over for replacements, couldn't find originals, and similar all seemed slightly wrong to fit. Emailed the maker and they sent me 6 springs(2 each of 3 different sizes) free of charge. So some do take the time for you.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

12. You'll struggle for a quick reply from them - they're inundated with requests from Brexit campaigners :rolleyes:

(Walks away whistling... :oops: )

13. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

14. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

Funny!! :-D

15. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

I'll give Kinnarps a few days to reply, but I'm not holding my breath. You lucked out with those secateurs. :)

16. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

An engineer's merchant is like a DIY superstore for people who actually know what they're doing? I have no idea where to look for one of those. Can anyone suggest some links to some that have websites? Especially ones where the person answering the email is in a good mood and has nothing better to do than run around a warehouse looking for 4 screws.... ;-)

17. Nikki Woods

Nikki Woods New Member

Well blow me down, but we got a reply from Kinnarps and a very nice person there is sending us some screws! My faith in humanity is restored!

Thank you everyone for all your help. I would still like to know about engineer's merchants for future reference. :) I also feel some other questions concerning my kitchen might appear soon....

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016