Can anyone recommend a good quality concealed shower valve please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Macneil, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Macneil

Macneil New Member

I'm replacing my bath and I want to install a concealed shower valve into the stud wall at the same time, feeding a ceiling fixed rain shower head from a run throuh the attic. Obvs I never want to have to look at it again so I wondered what was good and perhaps what should be avoided?

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

My choices include,
    Crosswater,
    Bristan,
    Mira,

There are loads of unbranded shower valves on the internet which visually look great but getting service parts in a few years is near impossible and some are not supplied with installation instructions.

Make sure you get a thermostatic valve which is suitable for your existing water pressure,is your existing bath tap supplied by mains water pressure ? its very important.

3. Macneil

Macneil New Member

Thanks, the bath is supplied through a combi boiler.

At the moment, we use a bath mixer with a shower diverter, and I just use the hot tap it gives a brilliant shower. I have thought about just doing that to a fixed shower head but something tells me that for a proper shower it ought to have a thermostat other than my boiler setting to be on the safe side?

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Yes a thermostatic mixer is the safe option,fitting a few of these this week.Mira Rada V12 concealed thermostatic shower valve TMV3.

5. mafalus

mafalus Member

6. In support of mafalus. I have two Mira Excels installed over ten years ago and no issues with either. However, ten years on, I wouldn't install a concealed shower valve and I try to steer my customers away from them too. When they go wrong they can be a nightmare to resolve. A bar shower at 150mm centres, when it goes wrong, 10 minutes to fit a replacement. Note, when not if!

7. mafalus

mafalus Member

My plumber said exactly what you said NoOhmToGoTo, thats why i had mine installed without it being concealed.
    Touch wood I have had it four years now and no issues to date, and to top it all the shower head has remained in perfect condition even with the family taking six showers or more a day, despite being in a hard water area

8. Macneil

Macneil New Member

That's really interesting, we are in a really hard water area, and I am worried about the cumulative effects - in fact that's one reason I want everything concealed, any fittings soon get "scaly" no matter how often you clean them. But the logic of exposed vs concealed re maintenance is is inescapable I guess.

9. mafalus

mafalus Member

Viakal sprayed on once a week solves all my limescale problems, I swear by it and it leaves the shower valve sparkling and the shower head as good as new

Macneil likes this.
  10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select