Can I make my own Single Phase Link?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, May 25, 2016.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm there might be a malleability differential between a home fabricated and a factory purpose made link Chips.
    One has to ask why might there be a malleability differential? The answer being that one of them might have alloy/s added, and the pukka one might not. It could be the other way round of course..I don't know because I am not a metallurgist.

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Just buy the right gear factor it in your price no comebacks and peace of mind

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

JP, even small amounts of impurities will significantly change the conductivity of copper. To be classed as High Conductivity (HC) it needs to be 99.9% pure. The 0.1% covers other impurities and oxygen.

Conductivity is based as a percentage on an IACS scale. HC copper is 100%. Drop in 15% zinc, you get brass which is 28% IACS. Phosphorus is particularly bad, less than 0.05% in HC copper will drop its IACS to 80%

So while copper may be copper. Not all copper is suitable for electrical use. I once visited a copper smelting plant in India, they were putting everything into the mix, old pipes, transformer windings, you name it. I doubt if they could ever get it pure enough for busbars, but they never the less produced them ;) The bloke grabbing the red hot bar out of the extruder with a pair of tongs and running along the roller bed with it was a sight to be seen, not sure the flip flops offered much protection though!